speed bump v's snail speed

myzeneye

Reaction score
just a question for curiosity ???
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
all down my road there are speed lumps. how fast do you think you could go over your average sleeping policeman/speed bump, before inflicting damage to an 18" alloy ????
can we have some kind of poll from members to say how fast they go over these B@stard things ???
i for instance virtualy stop and gently plod over them, wich seriously annoys cars behind me.( not that i care much!)
is there any one out there who mindlessly does a gentle 10-20mph over them and if so, has it caused any damage ???

[ QUOTE ]
myzeneye said:
just a question for curiosity ???
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
all down my road there are speed lumps. how fast do you think you could go over your average sleeping policeman/speed bump, before inflicting damage to an 18" alloy ????
can we have some kind of poll from members to say how fast they go over these B@stard things ???
i for instance virtualy stop and gently plod over them, wich seriously annoys cars behind me.( not that i care much!)
is there any one out there who mindlessly does a gentle 10-20mph over them and if so, has it caused any damage ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, when you have 18"wheels and a lowered suspension, you better slow down on the speed bumps. I once was coming home and they had installed a speed bump on the same day... I didn't even notice the bump..when I hit, my front end got badly scratched (I was doing around 25mph).

G

I think the answer is "A slow as possible" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

no mate, common sense is seeing what damage other people have done and at what speed it happened.
also, common sense helps with spelling big words like " just"..........

When my wife was learning to drive, she rode a speed hump in Blackheath at about 25mph (I'm on standard 16" wheels). When she asked what that crunching noise was, I gritted my teeth & replied "That was the sound of the engine hitting the ground".

jdp1962 .... when i read you post, my stomache turned.
i go stupid slow over them, which is annoying as there are so many on the route to my house...
Snoop tells me above , its common sense, but as ive never gone over them without practicaly stopping, i just wondered what i could get away with.
if someone else posted a reply saying that they regurlary go over them at a fluid 10 mph or so, it might give me the courage to at least 'bimble' gently over them..
learn by other peoples unfortionate mistakes, this my dear Snoop is 'common sense'.

Interesting - I bet the speed limit is 20 or 30 mph, but we have to do 5 - if they want us to do 5, why not make that the speed limit?

Are there any lawyers in here? - Maybe a class action against the department of transport might sort the problem out (its them who make local councils put these b&!ta^%s in) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

They didnt put speed bumps by us apparently they don't deter people from speeding so in there wisdom they decided to install chicanes which all the idiots love because they use it as a race track at night and during the day you get people who dont want to stop so they put their foot down to try and get round them before you i would say that the accident rate on our estate must have shot up in the last twelve months but no dought the council will declare it a roaring success

strange how we all pay road Tax to have our cars slowly destroyed.
there have been a few bad accidents on our road so we now have a mixture of horendous coble styled ramps and chicanes.
theese chicanes make things worse as nobs in saxo's with wings on race through playing chicken....
i came down our road one night and coudnt believe what i was seeing.... a pug 205 had got the chicane wrong, went straight up the enbankment and was pearched in the roof of a nearby bugalow!!!
but these cobble styled one's are the worst ive come across. and of couse they put 8 of them down my road.

the cobble things are horrendous we have then near my work and you cannot go over them in any reasonable manner in fact the ones by us we have to vertually come to a stop which really cannot be helping with traffic conjestion.

There is some nasty ones up at my work area so bad when i fitted 17"s to my old coupe, 1st day i ripped of the plastic sump guard! ,after that i started to avoid them as much as poss and to answer ure question if i had to go over one VERY slowly!

My car is lowered by 45mm and i avoid speed bumps like the plague,every time i go over them if its not the mud flaps getting bent over to the max it my exhaust system scrapping the top of it, 5 mph at the most i hate them