No Electrics

N80KRR

Reaction score
I got told of this about a week ago but after trying it myself and finding that all the windows were working fine, I took no notice. Now I seem to have lost all electrics on the doors, no windows and no mirrors. However we park our car on a hill so went out and turned it around and to my amazment it worked everything was back to normal. But driving to work this am and it was back to nothing. Would this point towards a broken wire somewhere?

look at the wiring between the door and chassis,when you open the door grab the large rubber coupling give the wiring a pull while working a anything on the door,you should be able to get the electrics to work on and off,this would point to a break there which on most cars is common.

or just open and close the door while working the electrics,this would point to the same thing.

Broken wire is normally the culprit but can also be a faulty Convenience Module - same as I experienced a few years back.
Main problems were intermittent electric windows and unlocking.
No further problems after replacing the CM and recoding.

VAG-COM indicated "No Communication" with the CM module.

tried with the door this am but only opening and closing. I'll take a closer look at lunchtime. Is the module located in the passengers footwell? if so does anyone know how to access it? Many Thanks

Located under the passenger front seat - pull the carpet back and you will see a plastic box on the floor - Convenience Module inside this box.
My carpets were a pain to pull back so took the front seat out! I know others have had no problems with the seat in place.

Get it VAG-COM'ed and see if there are any errors - saves a lot of work.
Broken cable in loom may show up as Single wire communication to door controller xxxxx.

only thing is they won't open from either side and the door mirrors won't work either. So I'm guessing the module is on its way.

my dad is an electrical design engineer who is as we speak looking in to my radio signal boster which decided to stop work, so do you reckon the module maybe salvagable?

If you have a test rig to mimic your A4 then you may have a chance at mending the Convenience Module.
As with most items if you have all the correct tools and the time then anything is possible.

I doubt if any of the electrical components are readily available down at Maplins / Radio Spares / Farnell.
Many IC (Integrated Circuits) are custom so the only chance you may have is to remove from another working donar unit - assume your Dad has SMD (Surface Mount Device) desoldering and soldering facilities?

He has far too many gadgets which I have no idea about. I'll ask him at the weekend. Does anyone have a guide on how to remove trim to gain access to the module? I had a quick go last night only to get stuck by a peice of trim that didn't seem to want to release. the one that runs from seat to glovebox.

Large trim from glove box down A-pillar to B-pillar is held with spring clips.
There is a small separate piece by the glove box - pull this out first - towards back of car.
The large piece slides in at the kick panel area and has spring clips elsewhere - prise it away from the body.