EM TuningBadger5
    Neutral

Status

Votex lower grille mod

Hi Guy's, could you give me your honest opinions please on the lower grille, i bought some chrome s/a stripping off ebay for Ł4 to break the lower grilles up. It looks ok but i'm thinking of putting the original top chrome grille back on to match it up. Be honest please.

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/t...rgrillemod.jpg

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    I tend to agree. If you're keeping it on the bottom I would match it on the top.

5th Gear

Status
    as above

Audi fanatic

Status
    Im not a chrome fan but yes both or non .

Shuddup Foooool!!

Status
    Take the Chrome off and leave it as it is!

1st Gear

Status
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3344584...n/photostream/ this was mine when it had the chrome lower with the chrome upper.

I've now sprayed my upper grille black and sold the chrome centre & replaced with black centre votex http://www.flickr.com/photos/3344584...n/photostream/

Like everyone has said I think the upper and lower probably work better together if they match.
    Black 2.5tdi 180 Quattro Sport (210bhp tuning box) , Votex Kit, 19" Rs4 replicas, HID's, Led Sidelights, Exhaust & Some Black bits.

To do : LCR Splitter

4th Gear

Status
    If you sell your black grill let me know!!! first dibs :D

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for your opinions guy's, I am now unsure what to do. I think i might try the original top back on tonight and see what it looks like. I like the pic's from 'nanafagis'.

1st Gear

Status
    Have you got any more/bigger pics of the chrome trim fitted that you can send me?? I have fitted the Votex kit to mine and I miss not having chrome in the bottom grille. i know most people do anything to remove the chrome but I want mine back lol.

Would you say it looks OEM fit? Also how did it bend round the curves and roughly how thick is it, i.e. does it stick out far?

Oh and as for the bonnet grille I also bought the Votex grille like you but instead of getting it colour coded I cut it about and modified it to accept the original chrome surround from the standard grille.
    Last edited by Garfie; 5th July 2010 at 13:39.

Current Car:

A3 S-Line TDI 140bhp Sportback in Misano Red Pearl with Audi Open Sky System, Chrome Roof Rails, Full Leather, Front Armrest with Audi Phone Prep, MFSW, Cruise Control, Auto Wipers, Auto Lights, Auto Dim Mirror, Rear Parking Sensors, Bose Stereo, Privacy Glass, Ambient & Footwell Lighting and Puddle Lights.

Pic soon

Gone but not forgotten:

Audi A4 TDI Sport Avant in Denim Blue
    VW Golf Mk4 GTTDI
    Vauxhall Calibra 2.0 16V 150bhp Red Top
    Vauxhall NovaVAN 1.5TD

Neutral

Status
    Hi Garfie, iv'e got no bigger pic's to put on yet but i can give you the detail from where i bought the chrome stripping from.

Ebay - search for 'Car chrome 7mm'
    (the 7mm sits nicely one the grille edge but its up to you'

comes in 7mm x 3m self adhesive from approx Ł4.50 upwards

For the price i think it was worth testing it.

Neutral

Status
    Garfe - I forgot to answer your main question, i wouldn't say it's oem, more individual i think. it sits about 3mm so it doesn't stick out far and the adhesive is strong so it bends and sticks easily. (be sure to remove the top coating of the chrome as at first i thought it was a dull colour until i removed revealing the true chrome finish.

Have you got any close ups of your modded top grille.

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks John,

As you say, for the price I may just give it a go. Does it go round the bends ok without kinking etc?

I havent any pics of my modded grille yet but will try and remember to get some later and post them up.

Current Car:

A3 S-Line TDI 140bhp Sportback in Misano Red Pearl with Audi Open Sky System, Chrome Roof Rails, Full Leather, Front Armrest with Audi Phone Prep, MFSW, Cruise Control, Auto Wipers, Auto Lights, Auto Dim Mirror, Rear Parking Sensors, Bose Stereo, Privacy Glass, Ambient & Footwell Lighting and Puddle Lights.

Pic soon

Gone but not forgotten:

VW Golf Mk4 GTTDI
    Vauxhall NovaVAN 1.5TD

Neutral

Status
    Yes mate it goes around the corners easily and the adhesive is strong too, just be sure to remove the protective film off the chrome side. Other than that it should match your top grille nicely.

1st Gear

Status
    Hmmm makes me wonder if my old grille was done this way. Or did they make an OEM chromed votex centre grille?

Not sure if i prefer the black or chrome now. I liked the idea of an all black front end but now mine looks odd to me cos i'm used to having the chrome trim on the lower bit. I think the chrome gives the front end a bit of presence. It looks a bit lightweight now, with mine being all black the grilles blend in.

Two possible solutions..... Leon Cupra R Splitter, or some of this chrome trim or both (can do both for less than Ł30!) What do people think? Sorry for the interruption but i'm just thinking out loud.
    Black 2.5tdi 180 Quattro Sport (210bhp tuning box) , Votex Kit, 19" Rs4 replicas, HID's, Led Sidelights, Exhaust & Some Black bits.

To do : LCR Splitter

1st Gear

Status
    This is what I did to my Votex grille:

Current Car:

Pic soon

Gone but not forgotten:

VW Golf Mk4 GTTDI
    Vauxhall NovaVAN 1.5TD