A4 TDI 130bhp no power

Bonso

Reaction score
Hello there,

Have a problem which started last night, everytime I change gear my car loses power for about 1 or 2 secs then takes off like a rocket.

Any suggestions on what this might be?

Regards
Bonso

[ QUOTE ]
Bonso said:
Hello there,

Have a problem which started last night, everytime I change gear my car loses power for about 1 or 2 secs then takes off like a rocket.

Any suggestions on what this might be?

Regards
Bonso

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, Welcome to the Forum Bonso /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif, how olds the car and what mileage?

changing gear at around 1500 to 2000rpm, car is july 2001 and 102,000 miles. Full service history.

Regards
Bonso

Hi Bonso, It may just be because the revs are too low after the gearchange, so you've dropped into a low torque area. Also, you'll get a fair amount of turbo lag after changing gear if you change that early. Unless I am foloowing some slow traffic, I will change up at anything between 3000 and 4500rpm, depending on how much of a hurry I am in. The engine then drops straight back into the powerband and turbo lag is almost undetectable.

Believe it or not, it will be more economical to use more of the rev range when accelerating, as you are getting closer to the engine's more economical torque peak, as long as you change up when at your desired speed.

Do you think it might be the air flow meter as I have no power at all until the turbo kicks in?

102K miles, I take it you've done most if this yourself... sound like it could be the MAF sensor, which would be like crap throttle response an the turbo lag you are feeling, costs around £80 from your local stealer.

my a4 has no power between 1000 and 1500 rpm, its always been like that though, soon as it hits 1500 rpm it launchs.

Try driving it as Hingy suggested. Then post the results.

I know that ours is flat as a pancake at 1000-1500 and it's only 4 months old.

Dave

[ QUOTE ]
Bonso said:
Changed MAF sensor everything fine for 3 weeks. Now once or twice a week everytime I change gear have no power for about 2 or 3 seconds (car feels like you put the brakes on and cars behind almost rear end me) then takes off but still not at full power rate. Have also noticed that if I lift off then reapply the car jerks as if its getting no fuel.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may wish to try some of the BMW forums - this kind of braking then accelerating hard seems to be an optional extra on some of their models (or is it just me...)

[ QUOTE ]
Bonso said:
Any suggestions as my wife refuses to drive the car at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a bad thing... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Greg