Help and advice guys accident problem :( .........

basspower

Reaction score
Hi guys ok here we go help if you can lol ,
My partner was driving her car today and as she came round a round about a women slammed her brakes on because an ambulance was coming on the other side of the road and my partner ran into the back of her . my point is usualy the person at the backs to blame but she had correct stoping distance and was on a bend only going around 10 - 15 mph the women didnt have to break let alone slam the brakes on because the ambulance didnt even come on her side of the road. when stoped and speaking she revealed she had only had the car two days and it seems she got spooked when she heard the ambulance so she slammed on the breaks if anything she should haver pulled to the side? anyway she then was rude and said its ok you will get the blame because your the driver behind before giving details and heading off happy with herself where as my partners car is looking like a write off. where do we stand here any ideas? HELP lol. Hope theres a legal boffin on here lol! :wacko::notme:

Sorry to hear of your situation, I don't mean to be harsh in what I say below - but I'm just being constructive I hope.

my point is usualy the person at the backs to blame but she had correct stoping distance and was on a bend only going around 10 - 15 mph the women didnt have to break let alone slam the brakes on because the ambulance didnt even come on her side of the road.

Unfortunately she clearly didn't have the correct stopping distance - or she would have stopped! It doesn't matter whether the car in front stopped justifiably, or completely out of the blue the requirement is "To drive so that you can stop safely within the distance you can see to be clear" and the very fact that she didnt stop means she was driving too close.

My advice is to accept the blame and the resulting loss of no claim bonus etc and move on from it grateful in the knowledge that no one was hurt.

I hope you get it sorted quickly and painlessly :thumbsup:

Sorry to say James is right. Some I use to go to college with just after he passed his test was driving down the motorway on the inside lane when the overhead signs display had a red cross to show the lane was closed ahead. He didn't understand what it meant and slammed on his brakes and the car behind ploughed straight into him, and even though he did a stupid thing the other car that hit him got the blame!

Just got to remember there are a lot of idiots out there! (my friend being one of them!) I work with someone who use to be a policeman and he said he hated having to put the lights and sirens on to get passed people as you would never know what they were going to do!

I disagree you have nothing to loose for challenging it.

If you can make out the driver was driving irraticly and causing distress to other motorists then thats an offence under section 59 and she will be held to blame.

You should leave a safe distance but emergencey stopping round a corner is just stupid. Tell your insurance company that you don't admit blame and that the other driver admited to driving idioticly in an area where it is difficult to judge a safe distance.

Insurance companies are a bit more clued up now, time was if you wanted a new car you just had to smash your brake lights and go slam on in the middle lane of the M25 but things are changing.

Also agree with James, but you can have a go with the above comment.

but she had correct stoping distance
I am afraid she didn't have enough stopping distance or she would have stopped. Unfortunately if you hit someone up the back then you are left holding the baby.
It's easy done and very common, but your partner will be held responsible

There are actually scammers that go round slamming on the brakes at odd places and getting you to smash into them, they do it cause its a pretty much dead cert for a payout.