What oil for 1.9TDI ?

reggieroo

Reaction score
Website
www.theirishshop.co.uk
This might sound like a stupid question but what oil does the 1.9 TDI take in it? I need to top it up. It's an 2002 A4.

I looked in the book & it doesn't say what grade like 10W/40 etc

All it says is specification VW506 00 OR VW506 01?

It also says that if you can't get that spec you can use VW505 00 or 505 01 but only once & no more than 0.5 litres?

These specs mean nothing to me!

Last edited:
The VW506 spec will be for cars on the longlife service intervals.

The VW505 spec will be for cars on the 10K or 1 year service intervals.

Get yourself to Halfrauds and the VW spec numbers are on the back of the Castrol Edge probably either 0W-30 or 5W-40. Mines a petrol so I dunno which is best... i'm sure another diesel runner will be along soon.:superman:

Last edited:
hi mate go to a vw or audi main dealer and ask them for quantum longlife 111 its what audi use when they service the 1.9tdi pd engine . dont just put any oil in these engines they are very temperamental. i bought 5 litres for £31.00 which is considerably less than castrol edge . roomer as it that quantum longlife 111 is castrol edge in disguise ?

Mines currently on the long life service with Audi. Im thinking of coming off that now as the car has just reached 100k. What do people think? Would i be better off changing the oil every 10k now?

Cheers
Graham

absolutely thats what i do my car which is a 1.9 tdi 2004 pd which i have only owned for 6 weeks was on longlife servicing same as yours as just gone past 100.000 miles . i use the longlife oil from audi and will change it at about 10.000 . it as a full service history with oil changes around the 19.000 mile mark it gives you some idea of how good this longlife oil is as my car pulls like a train does not smoke and runs like a swiss watch so changing this oil at 10.000 can only be a good thing as its very reasonably priced one more thing always use genuine vw audi oil filters you know it makes sence

Yeah, i totally agree with the above, my 1.8T quattro has the quantum longlife 111 oil (TPS £27) which i have also heard is basically castrol edge in a quantum container. I also use genuine filters, my 1.8T uses the larger oil filter part no. ending in F as apposed to B. Although when basingstoke audi last serviced it they put the wrong filter on!!!!!!!!!!! you can't even trust main dealers to do things right.

I have kept mine on longlife as i only do about 8K a year, and its now showing service due at 10K after 18months, i also change the oil inbetween services at 5K.

Looks like I'm off to Audi to get some oil then. I just checked the service book which has been main dealer serviced apart from the last one at 139k, all the longlife service boxes have been ticked.

hi mate go to a vw or audi main dealer and ask them for quantum longlife 111 its what audi use when they service the 1.9tdi pd engine . dont just put any oil in these engines they are very temperamental. i bought 5 litres for £31.00 which is considerably less than castrol edge . roomer as it that quantum longlife 111 is castrol edge in disguise ?

Quantum is not relabelled Edge. Quantum is apparantly made by Castrol, but it is not the same as Edge, it's a more basic oil, made to meet the VW specs rather than to meet an array of specs like the Edge does. That means that in certain areas, the Edge exceeds the minimum required to meet the VW specs, whereas the Quantum scraps by. There is a reason the Edge costs more, and not just the label on it.

Cheers

Tim

Reactions: PAULF
Quantum is not relabelled Edge. Quantum is apparantly made by Castrol, but it is not the same as Edge, it's a more basic oil, made to meet the VW specs rather than to meet an array of specs like the Edge does. That means that in certain areas, the Edge exceeds the minimum required to meet the VW specs, whereas the Quantum scraps by. There is a reason the Edge costs more, and not just the label on it.

Cheers

Tim

Hi TIm,
What do you recommend for the 1.9TDI then?
Cheers
Graham