RNS-E VIM Hack - Success!

Woorlord

shifting to Hyperspace... .
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Had a go at the DIY VIM Hack that you can apply to the RNS-E by downgrading with VIM software and then taking the system back up to the current software.
Been a bit cautious of doing this based on the number of potential problems you could have doing it.

Anyway glad to say it is all sorted now after a minor hiccup with the Sat lady moving to the back seat - this has now been resolved.
Just done a test drive with video playing out my i-Pod Video up on the RNS-E screen, whilst calling by 'bro' on the BT and the SatNav directing me home!

All the info you need can be found >>Here<< and my particular findings and issues >>Here<<

Which Video in line are you using for the iPod? iPod classic or touch? RNSe controls or iPod controls?

Which Video in line are you using for the iPod? iPod classic or touch? RNSe controls or iPod controls?

Using an i-Pod 30GB Video Classic and simply use the i-Pod controls.
Have a 3rd party RNS-E Media Box which gives me one video input selected via the "TV" input on the RNS-E.
The media box is mounted in the glove box like so....

MediaBox_800.jpg

And you can see the 3 connection leads (via an extension) for Audio left and right plus composite video. which are actually plugged into the media box.
The i-Pod sits under the armrest in the small cubby hole and has enough lead slack to be place near auto-gear shift area.
The i-pod lead is also connected to +12v so will charge the i-pod also - got this lead of Ebay from China.
Also in the picture I do have a "spare" audio input which can be selected via the "AUX" input on the RNS-E.
Will get some pictures up of the i-pod area later.

I mounted the media box in the glove box to give me the potential to plug in any other video source I may have access to - like portable DVD player or video camera. I guess I could put in a reversing camera now also - just need to to put a switch box in that when reverse is selected that the rear camera feed is selected over any other video feed? May have to be the next little project!

Last edited:
nice - how much was the box.... as per sig, I've been looking at the option of an Ampire kit, which includes 2 x video lines in.... but that's about £600 inc fitting and given how much hassle it is to fit the aerials, I think I'll get it professionally done.

nice - how much was the box.... as per sig, I've been looking at the option of an Ampire kit, which includes 2 x video lines in.... but that's about £600 inc fitting and given how much hassle it is to fit the aerials, I think I'll get it professionally done.

For the one video input box I have you can get them now for around £90~£100 prices have risen since I got mine for around £70 new.
Just do an Ebay search for "RNS-E Multimedia" and you will find this unit >>Like This<<

........... I guess I could put in a reversing camera now also - just need to to put a switch box in that when reverse is selected that the rear camera feed is selected over any other video feed? May have to be the next little project!

And that is now all done - linking across to the Reversing Camera Thread to close the loop - you can find the auto-reverse-switch-box here.

The "other" forum I posted my findings has changed it's directory structure so the link in post #1 does not work and I can't edit it. Here it is hosted on this forum.......

Finally had the balls to apply the VIM hack today to my RNS-E (8E0 035 192 T / SW:0650 / HW:H75) - I have an EU unit and software.
Coding: 0309752
Lady front right as she should be.

Dumped all Coding and Adaption Channel info.
Applied "0080 VIM Hack" SW >> Channel 5 found set at 250 >> 2 hours fuse #39 removed >> Applied SW0550 [2007 original disk] >> Channel 5 found set at 250 >> Applied SW0650 [2010 disk] >> Channel 5 found set at 250.
Applied Coding and Channel Adaption
But Lady was now found to be sat in the back - damn it - and BT Phone not recognised also??

OK - repeated application of "0080 VIM Hack", by setting Ch 97 to 1.
Fuse out for 20 seconds fuse back in.
Ch 5 found to be set at 250 still.
Applied SW 0550 [2007 original disk]
Lady now in the front right speaker.
Reapplied Coding and all channels that would take original values.
Phone OK with BT & Signal strength icons on all screens.
Applied SW 0650 [2009 disk]
Checked all adaption channels - OK
Phone OK.

Popped in the i-pod video via my multimedia interface and pressed play with "Transporter 2" film and went for a test drive - all OK video continued to be seen.
Nav works OK, lady front right speaker.
Phone OK.

All done - Many thanks to the guys that wrote the VIM Hack tool.

oh iv had that disc for around 2 years

bought it for a tenner you pop it in it does its stuff downgrades
pull the fuse for 12 hours
refit fuse pop your nav disc back in and sorted
oh and a touch of vcds
video in motion etc etc

Excuse me for being a bit confused but can someone please explain to me what benefit the VIM hack gives you above a normal RNS-E, I would like to have this hack done to my RNS-E sometime soon, is there any body out there as close to junction 14 M1 capable of doing this, please help any advice would be appreciated

OEM RNS--E video screen is blanked over 5mph for safety when viewing tV input or Video input. VIM hack disables this so video input can be displayed on screen at any speed!

Have all the tools to do this.

I have searched the whole web and I cant find the software 0080 anywhere, can someone upload the software for me?