Tracking down service history and a couple of questions

A4WILL

Reaction score
Hi,

Just bought my 1st A4 and loving it, I got it for a great price but there are a couple of snags:

I dont have any real history other than the dealer book which is stamped up to date.

One of the dealerships on there is no longer open and the other im waiting for them to get back to me.

Is there anything else I can do?

As I have no proof of certain things I need to know if I need to do the Cambelt. The car is on 74,000 miles also I think the clutch is on its way out but I have been told this is possibly a clip of some sort?

My car is a 2003 1.8T

Thanks in advance

Ah couple of other thing:
What is a rough cost of a Cambelt kit fitted and seperatly a clutch fitted?

Audi do a fixed price cambelt change for £349

http://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing-with-audi/affordable-servicing.html

This doesn't include the water pump although it seems to be considered a good thing to have done at the same time (the water pump is relatively cheap whereas the labour element for what is essentially the same work as changing the cambelt is not and so best to get both done together). Audi also guarantee the work for two years.

As for the service history can your local Audi dealer help you. It's only a thought but I wonder if Audi dealers feed into a central database for work undertaken on vehicles within their network. That may be a bit optimistic but worth asking the question?

Welcome to the forum.

I think thats correct, any dealer can link into Audi's central computer system and let you know the dealer service history of your car. Some are more helpful than others tho......

What A4 have you got? I imagine the £349 cambelt change doesn't apply to the 6 cylinder models.

i got my cambelt done at a indy it was £310 with water pump and auxiliary belt

Doesnt the service book have tickboxes on the page to show what work was carried out?

I got my cambelt and waterpump done at the dealer for just under £500, mines a 1.8T.

Call the dealers in the service book or find out the local chain/group - they often use a shared system and can go to parts/comments detail if you speak to the right person.
Explain what you need to the service dept - they can put you through to the technicians if you can get to the right people. A little investigative research..but it can pay dividends, had exactly this issue myself.