Chris NottBadger5
    3rd Gear

Status

HID Kits - Beware !!!

Just a heads up to anyone who has fitted an aftermarket hid kit....VOSA are having a major clampdown on cars with these kits fitted and unless you have washers and autoadjusters fitted they will be deemed as an MOT fail. VOSA are currently hitting the Medway area but about to roll it out nationally......

Available soon in the For Sale Section.....

RS4 Pedals - Drivers side mirror mounting/wiring
    B6 Cab Front Grills - Drivers side B6 Cab Headlamp
    Moro Blue Mirror Caps - Full set of Cab Windscreen Surrounds
    Symphony 6 disc Head - Unit Full set of B6 Cab Manuals inc Leather Wallet
    N/S B6 Rear Lamp - RS6 Auto Brake Pedal

PM for more details.......

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status

HID Kits - Beware !!!

Thanks, hate those bunch of knobs. How does having washer jets make a difference!?
    Audi A4 TDi 130 Sport

3rd Gear

Status
    factory xenons have to be self adjusting and have washer jets as flies n crap on the lenses scatter the beam so causing oncoming drivers to be blinded!

Available soon in the For Sale Section.....

RS4 Pedals - Drivers side mirror mounting/wiring
    B6 Cab Front Grills - Drivers side B6 Cab Headlamp
    Moro Blue Mirror Caps - Full set of Cab Windscreen Surrounds
    Symphony 6 disc Head - Unit Full set of B6 Cab Manuals inc Leather Wallet
    N/S B6 Rear Lamp - RS6 Auto Brake Pedal

PM for more details.......

4th Gear

Status
    oh vosa are always having a crackdown.

5th Gear

Status
    but at the moment there not an mot failure, as long as the beam pattern is correct and its set at the right hieght then its ok

1st Gear

Status
    Just to let you know fitting these aftermarket kits on headlights that are on a lin bus network will fry your wiper control unit.

shifting to Hyperspace... .

Status
    Carry a set of H7 Halogen bulbs and a torx driver in the boot and swap the Xenon bulbs for Halogens if they will fail you.
    I use a local garage for all my MOT's so see exactly what they are doing during the test and normally am able to chat to the testers during or after the test - on items where the Fail can be corrected there and then, can turn that into a PASS.
    This is no different to a non-working number plate light or indicator bulb.
    Taking your car to a big dealer will probably land you an undisputed fail in a similar situation!

I acknowledge that Fully Legal Xenons require Washers (I have) and auto-level-adjusters (I do not) so I may have to revert back to Halogens or retrofit auto-adjusters.
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GAudiTech View Post
    Just to let you know fitting these aftermarket kits on headlights that are on a lin bus network will fry your wiper control unit.
    depends how you fit them.

On Point!!

Status
    It,s those idiots that fit HIDs to cars with reflector headlights that cause the problems. Had to of them behind me last night on the A406, and the light scatter was so bad. I think these will be the main target of VoSA.
    1.8T quattro S-Line in Akoya Silver, Milltek sports cat & 100mm tipped pipes, black Angel Eyes, 18" RS6's (Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta), Bose Symphony 6CD, Moonroof, Criuse Control, Armrest, Full DIS, 0.5 Leather, F&R PDC, Light Pack, Parrot MKi9200
    Coming soon HID's
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2001 1.8T Sport 0 v Swedish Artic 1

Shuddup Foooool!!

Status
    Like Xmay says, its the chavs that are spoiling it for us. My neighbour had a Astra with HIDS fitted to reflector headlamps and the brightness was a killer, look way way obvious but he bought it like that so it wasnt his fault.

Audi fanatic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by markyzs180 View Post
    Just a heads up to anyone who has fitted an aftermarket hid kit....VOSA are having a major clampdown on cars with these kits fitted and unless you have washers and autoadjusters fitted they will be deemed as an MOT fail. VOSA are currently hitting the Medway area but about to roll it out nationally......
    I have not seen any special notices or any other info about after market HID lamps as a fail,
    the manual and the computer system has just been updated so i cant see it happening anytime soon
    where did you find out this info i will have to start snooping about .

The're Graphite not black!!

Status
    Not sure how VOSA would check for a self levelling headlight mechanism, as its connected to rear suspension. Unless they are using a garage with a ramp, i don't think it can be seen. They don't have authority to jack your car up at the side of the road.

BahnStormer

Status
    It has always been technically illegal to fit Xenon bulbs to a car that was designed to have Halogen bulbs, the law was clarified in 2006 (LINK).

That said, in practical terms: if you have an Audi B6, you will have a proejctor style headlamps, so as long as you check the beam pattern and the car get's MOT'd when it's clean and level, it will pass (incorrect beam pattern is an MOT fail) and you will be unlikely to be stopped.

I've only ever seen the proper little chav-chariots being stopped and I'm sure they did a bit more than just having suspiciously blue headlights.

If the lenses are dirty and you're dazzling oncoming traffic, then there's always a chance you'll get stopped: and then it's jsut a question of how picky they're being, but if they're after Aftermarket HID's without the required extras: no headlight washers will be immediately obvious and when you switch the lights one they pan up and down before finding their level, so the auto-leveling is pretty obvious too.

If there is a national move to clamp down, then technically you are breaking the law by either fitting or using a car where they have been fitted, unless the entire headlight unit has been replaced with one that supports auto-levelling and the car has headlight washers.... maybe jsut get soem colour coded stick on "headlight washers" to complete the look and get yourself past a casual visual inspection
    LostBok/BahnStormer77
    A6 (C7) Avant 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, LED headlight pack, MMI touch, SDS high, AMI, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.

On Point!!

Status
    LoL!!!!!!
    Chav-Chariot. I love that. It should go in the urban dictionary.
    1.8T quattro S-Line in Akoya Silver, Milltek sports cat & 100mm tipped pipes, black Angel Eyes, 18" RS6's (Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta), Bose Symphony 6CD, Moonroof, Criuse Control, Armrest, Full DIS, 0.5 Leather, F&R PDC, Light Pack, Parrot MKi9200
    Coming soon HID's
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2001 1.8T Sport 0 v Swedish Artic 1

4th Gear

Status
    for the record you dont need projector lenses, just ones designed for HID.

BahnStormer

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmay4444 View Post
    LoL!!!!!!
    Chav-Chariot. I love that. It should go in the urban dictionary.
    I thought it was.... if not, feel free to quote me.... **SIGH** anythign for fame....
    LostBok/BahnStormer77
    A6 (C7) Avant 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, LED headlight pack, MMI touch, SDS high, AMI, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    My HIDs were fitted by my MOT-testing garage, so if they fail me, I'll demand a refund!
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

BahnStormer

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    My HIDs were fitted by my MOT-testing garage, so if they fail me, I'll demand a refund!
    Ouch - technically, they were breaking the law by fitting them (as are you by driving the car).,,
    LostBok/BahnStormer77

nj

Status
    So how hard is it to retro fit auto levelling? sounds like a royal pain in the...
    Anybody selling a polisher? PM me.
    -----------------------------------
    A4 B6 3.0 Quattro Sport Avant
    -----------------------------------

shifting to Hyperspace... .

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lostbok View Post
    Ouch - technically, they were breaking the law by fitting them (as are you by driving the car).,,
    Do I recall someone had their headlight washers removed although they had OEM HID's fitted??
    Really all these law breakers!!
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable

BahnStormer

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Woorlord View Post
    Do I recall someone had their headlight washers removed although they had OEM HID's fitted??
    Really all these law breakers!!
    yep - that's when I read up about it and waved that law in front of the guys who fitted the wrong top bumper (and removed my headlight washers!)... and did they jump
    LostBok/BahnStormer77