Lower S4 Grille - weekend project.

quattrojames

Staff member
Reaction score
I fitted my S4 upper grille ages ago, and in conjunction with the Cupra splitter am very happy with how the front of the car looks.

UD097.jpg

However I've always wanted to try a lower grille to match, but haven't found one at the right price, cue Sam (dsmclark30v) who generously donated his old one to the cause, thanks Sam :thumbsup:

There are two ways to fit this, trim out the lower bumper and fit the complete grille, like this:

LEDs.jpg

XS1.jpg

I 'think' I like that, but it involves cutting out the bumper, so no going back! Plus the grille I've been given has the corner broken, so I'm going to trim the grille to fit the bumper aperture. This picture isn't great, but it gives an idea, hopefully with the dechrome and splitter mine will look better than this does:

S43.jpg

So here's the two grille's:

S4Lower001.jpg

At here's what I need to do:

S4Lower003.jpg

If I don't like then I can just replace the previous grille and there's no hassles.

Last edited:
Its a shame its broken else it would have looked better with the 'pant twitching' trimming method but due to the damage then the only option is what you are going to be doing anyway...goodluck fella, im sure you have plenty of patients for these things.....bout ****** time to......:undwech:

:blahblah1:

If I like the look then I'll just have a source a good priced complete grille and bite the bullet!

james where did you get the LEDS in the top photo mate iv seen them on a few cars now and like the look

In this photo?

LEDs.jpg

Its not my car mate, its from THIS Audizine thread, they're a photoshop iirc.

What do you mean?

You think the S4 grille will look too small cut into my existing standard sized grille surround?

What do you mean?

You think the S4 grille will look too small cut into my existing standard sized grille surround?

Yeah, its a shame you cant do the trimming as it looks pointless doing it in such a small frame.just my opinion thats all.

Yeah, its a shame you cant do the trimming as it looks pointless doing it in such a small frame.just my opinion thats all.

I know what you mean. I'm hoping thats not a great pic ......

This grille is too broken to do that, so it makes sense to cut down the damaged one that cost me nothing. That way if the look isn't great and I'm forced to buy a new one then I won't need to be cutting it straight away!

Sounds like you've got your weekend sorted James! looking forward to seeing it finished to see how it looks :thumbsup:

Very True James like you say, you only have 1 option so yeah go for it.Nothing to lose pal.

Here's a very quick and dirty pic of progress tonight:

S4Lower.jpg

The shape of the grille is very different to the shape of the surround, thats why it doesn't seem to fit very well. Tomorrow after spraying the surround again to tidy it up, I'm going to use 6 self tappers to fit the inner into the surround, and then I think I will need to bond the whole lot into the bumper aperture. The lower grille is held in by lugs on the grille itself which click into the bumper, but the lugs on the S4 are no where near compatible ..... :(

I had a trial fit and it looks good :)

Finished today. The curve of the S4 grille seems so much more than my standard grille, as can be seen here - it's doesn't really matter though, the grille is so low you'd have to be some kind of fussy to notice it on the car!

S4Lowerfinished001.jpg

Bonding it onto the car was a pita because of this, excuse the props!

S4LowerfinishedASN1.jpg

Looks good though, I'm pleased with how it matches the top grille, and almost makes it look more 'one piece' - What's the verdict?

S4LowerfinishedASN2.jpg

S4LowerfinishedASN3.jpg

Love it! Looks loads better than i expected! The whole centre section now of the front end seems to flow better... :)
Top Job! Now these A6 LED's??? hehe

Cheers guys!

Top Job! Now these A6 LED's??? hehe

Haha for one moment last night when I looked at the car I thought I had overdone it and it was too much! I don't think thats the case, but I'm not sure I could get away with anything more.... As I said the other day it's very rare you see retrofit LED's done well, so I think less is more here.

Looks spot on James! Just need to change the to do list in your sig now! :thumbsup:

Hi James, grill looks great, that's annother one i need to do to mine, i keep thinking of doing the cupra splitter but am not sure how it will look against the s-line lower.

It's pretty low like that, Lostbok did his - there's some pics somewhere on here.....

I 'think' but am far from 100% that a lower S4 grille will fit straight into an S-Line front.

I'll let you know,when i finally get my hands on one,todays project (after i have repaired the rabbits run,cut the grass and removed the broom from my backside:laugh:) i will be doing my front ambient footwell lighting.