Help Please!! Rub/Squeak/Grind from passenger front wheel/corner.

schwarmo

Reaction score
i have a funny rub/sqeak/grind sound coming from the front passenger corner.

Points to note:
1. the 'sound' is direct propotional to the rotation of the wheel (identifying post gear box)
2. the sound dissappears during braking
3. the sound is worse while going round corners

investigations carried out:
1. jacked up car, spun wheel, no sound
2. checked for bearing play, no play
3. checked for wheel roundness, its round
4. checked for control arm play, no excessive play
5. checked for rubbing, no rubbing or shiney bit on the tyre indicating a rub
lowered car back to earth
1. drove back and forth, noise present and description confirmed by external person
2. suspension bounce tested, noise not present

from this test i am thinking it could be a warped disc or the disc has slipped and is not sitting correctly. maybe the drive shaft or CV joint.
Would a failing CV or drive shaft stop making the noise under braking (it even dissappears while braking around a corner)???

Oddly the car passed its MOT last week and all was fine no faults. i recently replaced the front lower rear controll arm, i tighted the bolt on the subframe end with load on the suspesion to ensure i get the angle correct but i may redo it and see if it makes a difference or it has slipped.

The car is an A4 B6 1.9tdi SE 6 speed FWD only mods are 18" RS6s (from new) RS4 RARB, oh and its blue ;)

Any help is much appreciated!

Simon

update: i have just driven between sites and it seems the noise also goes away during acceleration. it is hard to tell if it goes or lessen due to the whizz of the turbo...

thanks

Last edited:
it could still be a wheel bearing mate just as there is no play it may be dry and that where your getting the grating sound from.
also how much life you got left in your brack pads if they are low or crumbeld away as to age this would do that too

it could still be a wheel bearing mate just as there is no play it may be dry and that where your getting the grating sound from.
also how much life you got left in your brack pads if they are low or crumbeld away as to age this would do that too

what he said, i was writing that lot out but he said it first and better than i did.

hahaha that what hapens to me i start wrighting but by the time iv done it some one get there lol

cheers Simon and Turkster, as the noise seems to happen at the same point on the rotation of the wheel is it likely to be a cracked ball/needle within the bearing?

are they a part i can replace or is it a large hydrolic press jobie?

well from what iv read it says the wheel bearings are intended to last the cars life and looks like you need a hydraulic press mate. but if you dont have one a large bench vice will do.

if it's designed to last the cars life does that mean audi cover it with a warranty? or am i being totally optimistic and wanting something for free? i should have the right tools to do it in the workshop. will see if there is a guide somewhere, if anyone knows i would be very grateful!

i had a look in my haynes manual has it all in there. but im sure there is some one on here with some info for you oh james :superman:

Good luck with that warranty claim........

Elsawin details how to do it, get yourself a copy, its the best £5 you'll ever spend. It looks like you'll need a press to do the job.

cheers for your help guys, i will strip it down and take the strut to my mates garage and press the old one out and the new one in! what a ball ache though, i replaced the arm only 2 weeks ago, oh well at least i know where things go!