Grille Glue

nanafagis

Reaction score
I managed to find one part of the holy grail on ebay. A Votex/GMBH front fog surround!! :rockwoot:

This only leaves me with a loose corner to the centre grille where the honeycomb mesh has come away from the surround.

Can anybody reccommend a proper glue that will bond the grille back together? The existing grilles are glued with a black/grey sort of goo from factory. Anybody know what they're glued with?

From past experience most glues tend to go brittle after a few weeks and come apart again.

Anybody work in a body shop or have any past experience in DIY grille repairs?

Cheers

Mark

PM fourcircle on here, he has a new set of three Votex grilles for sale in the classifieds I think.

something sikaflex or a good silicone sealant, would probably work well, as its what side skirts are stuck on with.

If it's bonding the honeycomb back onto the surrounds on the votex grilles your after (Black Tiger seal adhesive) is the best stuff and doesn't leave a mess either. It's about £9 form a local bodyshop or ebay if you wish. I used it on one of my side mesh pieces a while ago and hasn't budged since.

Thanks for the replies. I used silicone as a temporary fix a while ago and it came away after a while. That tiger stuff sounds like just the trick.

quattrojames - a week ago i'd have snapped the guy's arm off and offered him extra money just to make sure i got the set after spending way over a year looking on ebay every evening and lunch break and not one single votex item for sale.

Only since sunday i've found 4 seperate sources for votex bits and bobs! What's that saying about waiting for a bus?.............

Post up your sources, I'm sure you're not the only person looking.

Well there's the passenger side grille I bought off ebay as a buy it now.
Stoke audi can source them at £64each, 7-10 working days from order.
3rd was a random response to an ebay "wanted" ad that I set up months ago. the guy reckons he has a set of lower front grilles - I will keep people informed if the bloke comes up with the goods but i'll be having the centre grille if it's the de-chromed one.
And the final one was the heads up you gave me to the ad by fourcircle.

Well there's the passenger side grille I bought off ebay as a buy it now.
Stoke audi can source them at £64each, 7-10 working days from order.
3rd was a random response to an ebay "wanted" ad that I set up months ago. the guy reckons he has a set of lower front grilles - I will keep people informed if the bloke comes up with the goods but i'll be having the centre grille if it's the de-chromed one.
And the final one was the heads up you gave me to the ad by fourcircle.
------edit-------------
Oh and there's a website that sells the votex kit as "quattro kit" but they don't sell grilles seperately. I was contemplating buying the kit, taking the grilles and selling the kit on but the company went quiet on me http://www.spoilercentre.co.uk/page8.htm

SIKAFLEX is good stuff ive used it numerous times and is specifically designed for plastics, when cured it is like rock hard rubber and will never perish.You will have to be carefull not to get it all over though

Thanks, i'll have a shop around this weekend and see what I can find. If it all goes pear shaped i'll just have to buy a new grille from stoke audi.

Any luck with this mate?

Have your new front grilles from Stoke come now?

Well.................bear with me here........things took a change for the better (and more expensive) Had a bit of a mad votex week last week. I ended up buying a grille off ebay with broken tabs and fixing my other two up, giving them a re-spray & laquer. They turned out quite well.

I then decided to buy fourcircle's brand new set.

Turns out all I would have needed was fixing clips and a bit of glue to fit my original set securely!!

But i've got a shiny new set now thanks to fourcircle. Plus I was always going to de-chrome my old chrome centre grille, which was a shame as a few people had commented saying they preferred the chrome, so i figured i'd put it on ebay and see if there's any interest.

So yeah, had a bit of a buying frenzy, after looking for so long then finding so many bits and bobs all at once I had to just spend. I felt like my mrs when she passes a topshop on the high street. I couldn't resist.

So now I am waiting for a set of fixing clips from Dave at Stoke Audi. He said they were due in on Friday. I'll give him a ring tomorrow. Can't wait to get a full set of grilles back on my car for the first time since xmas 2008!

I was waiting to fit the grilles and getting some pics before thanking you for pointing fourcircle and me in each other's direction.

So....thanks anyway, to you and fourcircle. By the end of this week I will be able to love my car again! Plus i'll be able to re-build my social life now that i've got no need to sit on ebay every night after work typing votex a4 b6 audi grille mesh honeycomb quattro bumper front fog............ :rock: