Check Computer System

Steve77

Reaction score
Hi Guys, am brand new to the world of Audi and this forum! lol
I have a 2004 S4.

Basically I am wondering about the Check Computer System.
When I click the button it runs through various icons etc relating to the oil, coolant etc as per the manual.
However most of these icons are red or yellow!
But at the end I get a green OK. I don't get any alerts whilst driving, although I got a beep when the Petrol got low.
The manual says say if a bulb is out I should get a notification as to what bulb.

I'm really confused, do I need to get this car checked over....!?!

Steve

I'm guessing that it all is fine mate. Since you have an S4 you have the colour DIS screen, whereas none S4's have just the two colour DIS (red and yellow). By cycling through the icons it's showing that all are ok (even though they are red and yellow).It should alert you with a beep and warning symbol if anything is wrong.

As mentioned, if a bulb goes out you will be notified by a warning when starting the car by way of a beep, and the top of the display will show a warning symbol. I think this warning symbol remains the whole time the car is running, which is a bit of a pain as it removes the radio information from the top of the DIS.

It seems to me like all is fine with the car, i shouldn't worry about anything...except your fuel bill, but that's just part of owning an S4 :racer:

Thanks for the response, was starting to freak! lol
Haha, lifes to short to worry about Fuel Bills. Besides previous cars include BMW M5 & Golf R32 so good MPG is a thing of the past for me!
;)

How does the S4 rate then compared to some of the other cars? It's always nice to hear how the Audi fares against BMW's and Merc's.

It's not far off the power of the M5, but the handling is another story!
The number one big thing I favor over the M5 is the handling. It's just insane. I thought the R32 Golf was good but this just blows it away!

Interesting indeed! And you're not helping me in my lusting after a quattro either!! :)

Glad you like it though. However, the roar of an M5 is something quite special.

Haha, mate it is an awesome car. I'm lucky in the fact that the guy before me installed £700 worth of Stainless Steel exhaust so it sounds awesome.
The M5 sounds great in the car (from the engine) but outside it wasn't that noisy. I took it round brands hatch and a mate filmed me.
You'd hear Evo's, Golfs etc going passed rumbling away then my M5 would come shooting along sound all sedate and calm! lol

Hi, my S4 scrolls through the check giving the same symbols and then gives a green ok at the end. As far as I'm aware this is how it should be, so don't worry. Bit confusing though. Enjoy the S4.

i don't know if the engine is suposed to be runing to use the check computer but when i was changing the oil in mine a couple of days ago, i was a bit boared waiting for the oil to drain and i turned the ignition till all the lights came on and pressed the check button and it diden't pick up on the fact that there was no oil what so ever in the engine and that one of my brake lights was out.

it might be that mine is knackered but i had the codes read after and nothing came up reguarding the check computer.

When my headlight bulb went the warning only appeared once I had turned on the lights. If I was driving in daytime there was no alarm. This may go along with what you say paulsb, that the engine had to be running to know that there was no oil. I guess you don't need a fancy DIS for that though...you'll just hear it blow up :wtf:

It won't pick up a bulb error until the bulb is illuminated, ie you brake, or turn on the headlights.

Thanks guys, definatly put my mind at rest.
Alwyas concerns me when you have these fancy systems that tell you when something goes wrong.
Does it tell you when IT goes wrong! lol
Gone are the good old days of getting a mate to wonder round your car whilst you test out all your bulbs!