Upgrade to a Sat nav and multi CD

rwellfair

Reaction score
can this be done ? i have a standerd audi stereo

iv had a good read and i cant find any info atm

hey there, just did a search and could fine anything? could u help me with a link!thank you!

Yes can be done!
Alot of us have done it, its a fantastic mod.
If you have a single din stereo at the mo, you'll need a twin din cage, which takes abit of time to fit. But not impossible!
Obviously you need the RNS-E which you can get from PJMSPEEDY (i think thats his name) he does a great price on here, rns-e with cables and dvd.
Plenty of folk will help with fitting too. #
As for the changer, you can fit that, you may want a glove box with the place for it to go. Some of the changers don't work with the rns-e for some reason.

nice 1 so whats the cost in adding a sat nav? around £600-£800?

thanks you, sorry im new here! but while iv got you .. the car iv got came with a nokia phone holder and speaker plus it beeps when the radio is on radom times.. is this easy 2 remove? also iv had a quick look at adding a sat nav and wow that looks very hard! im a plasterer not a car man haha

Last edited:
Mine cost about 400 to fit all in and about 480 including my mfsw

how much labour would it cost for me to get one fitted?

do you have a double or single din stereo in at the moment ?
and where abouts are you, plenty of knowledge and experienced people on here that would fit for you, youd save a bonb too.

im not sure what i have in just a basic 1 cd radio audincept or simular. the mrs has the car away this weekd so i cant look but im from cheltenham.. also do you think adding a sat nav would help when selling the motor 18 months down the line?

yes would help in a sale for sure, sounds like you only have single din, youd need to convert to double din aswell

The double din stereo's are just twice the size of the regular old-school shaped ones. It sounds like you may have a single din one.

As for the value of the car after fitting sat-nav, I know a lot of people on here remove their mod's when it comes to selling, and make it standard again. Spending 500+ on sat-nav prob won't add 500 to the value of your car, it'll just make it more sellable (inmy opinion). However, you could remove it all in 18 months or whenever years you sell it, and probably sell it second hand for 300 (or more) and that way it doesn't hurt the bank as much. Hope that bit makes sense, i fear I may be rambling.

are there any pics of a fitted RNS-E? what happens to my stero and all the buttons ect. also can i change the wheel to one with controls?

ah ha i found a pic of the radio i have this is inside my car!
4650158489_d6fa9dc820_b.jpg

your stereo and all the buttons go on ebay !!!!!! and yes the wheel can be changed but youll almost for sure need a updated slipring and module, again not a cheep mod but very worthwhile. not the best pic of the sat nav but you get the idea, retro fitted double din, rns-e (satnav ) and steering wheel myself

DSC03142.jpg

ah i see we lose that bit of space at the bottom.. how much did it cost u to fit a new steering wheel?

I had an RNS-E fitted yesterday, what a difference it has made to the interior of the car now. Purchased a SD card today and loaded it with music, works great. Should of got it done ages ago.

so u lose a lil bit of space at the bottom i guess. how much did u pay for fitting well all in even?

and what do u get with this then? u can save music on a sd card and play in on there u get a sat nav and do u get the feeview TV? or this is extra?

mine cost about £650 for single-double DIN conversion from Audi Concert to RNS-E, inc parts and labour... a year ago, I think it was these guys offering it for <£500. but I needed soemwhere more local - couldn;t afford the tiem to drive to Sheffield and back: http://www.primeprestige.com

I got mine done at HazzyDayz (www.vwcruise.com).

EDIT: Whoops - just looked at his prices: I'm pretty sure I paid around £650 for mine... he's charging >£1k for that now... maybe I jsut caught hte last of his reconditioned RNS-E's and he's only doign new ones now....

Last edited:
I would love a RNS-E unit but i cant justify the cost when at the end of the day apart from looks i cant see a real advantage ,
sat nav i have a high end snooper with everything on , i also run a 20gig Phatnoise box off the factory system which cost £99 and holds mountains of music
so for me it would purely be cosmetic which pound for pound as no real advantage ,
i must add im not slatting anyone for doing this mod it does look smart just a cost matter for me .

it's for the OEM "it belongs" looks and the fact it links perfectly into all the steering wheel controls, DIS, etc.... I do find the fact that I can have the visual directions on the DIS means I can turn the voice prompts off entirely and just use the steerign wheel "next direction please" prompt if do need the voice... press-button phone controls and voice control for the satnav are nice too....

as above: Freeview TV, video in (both not yet), bluetooth, voice controls, etc are all extra... and not cheap extras! and yes - Snooper has to be wired in separately too...

you can get a lot more features included in the base price on some of the non-OEM ones too...

My A4/B6 is a weekend car and I don't need SatNAv or Bluetooth it's really a waste of time for the private miles (3K~4K/year) I do outside of the the Merc CD320 and BMW 320d company cars I've had over the years whilst on this forum with very few or no options.

BUT I did it anyway put in RNS-E SatNav, a year later Bluetooth and what the hell - if I need it it's there and I'm proud I did it my way by myself so get yourself VCDS (VAG-COM) and as many retrofit options you can buy!
AND I have my iipod linked in also with Video (awaiting VIM DIY hack when I have the balls to do it.)

I must say Multi-CD waste of time if not readily available to you -just use the SD cards slots of the RNS-E or the simple AUX input modification to enable an i-pod AUX input or similar connection. Realise what you have now and live a little and have fun!
If you always counting pennies, Audi is not for you!

With all dew respect you are a commuted Audi upgrader who one would expect to count the pennies based on thoe multitude of upgrades you've done and not a mere Audi Upgrade Virgin!

With all dew respect you are a commuted Audi upgrader who one would expect to count the pennies based on thoe multitude of upgrades you've done and not a mere Audi Upgrade Virgin!

In ENGLISH please :hi:

In ENGLISH please :hi:
*****English Transalation***** = You love your Audi and a few quid for a few upgrades that you feel are good is good for you and makes you appreciate your car even more. Keep on modding for that's what maintains the interest in these forum's.
For those who have not taken a modding step, perform some form of modification before you become a critic!

pmsl, anyone got a light as its tad cold in here as my climate isnt working :undwech:

NOOOOOO, dont undo that bolt as it holds the whole chassis to the passenger seat

jase, " ok nige, ill only undo the one you tell me to, cheers for ya advise, see ya later ", fuke him im undoin the lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!! then ill blame the mother in law, then ill get it fixed by someone that knows one end of an alan key to another, then ill break it again !! lmfao

Allan doesnt have any keys, had to borrow them of some guy called Lea