Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 47

Thread: Life at 16 mpg!

  1. #1
    dsmclark40v's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    715

    Cool Life at 16 mpg!

    I haven't really been on audi-sport since my last thread about my troubles as I have been away on holiday. But I got back this morning and I had a package come throught from Lamin-X so I thought I would share some pics.

    I went for gun smoke for the main headlights and tint for the fogs what do you guys think?







    I am pretty happy with them and think they look good. Just need to remove a few air bubbles and give the car a clean.

    I also recently replaced the lower grille as it had a chunk missing out of it, Bought the engine undertrays as it was missing them when I bought it and picked up some B7 front caliper anti rattle springs with the S4 logo on. which I am yet to put on. Need a few more pieces for the engine under trays as I haf put them on but they fitted pretty loosly so i took them off. need to find a working copy of EtKA to see what else I need or if anyone on here has a copy and could send me a pdf diagram of whats needed that would be great.

    Other than that my next plan is to get some decent tyres on her, as after some emergency braking the other day I am not happy with 3 tyres one random make I have never heard of and one michelin, and maybe get the wheels refurbed a darker colour but unsure whether to keep them standard and maybe get another set of wheels and keep them as my winters.
    Sam,




    Gone

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,612
    nice look

  4. #3
    simon.m's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,746
    looks good mate

  5. #4
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    833
    is that stuff legal though, I like it but just wonder if the local police would have me over in seconds.

  6. #5
    J7USS's Avatar
    Shuddup Foooool!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    LEICESTER
    Posts
    3,671
    Though it does Look well id say too dark if im honest. The s4 headlamps are partly "joey modded" already so I would have gone with a lighter tint.
    Ill reinstall my ETKA this weekend mate and if you havnt got the info you need ill forward you the pdf.

  7. #6
    dsmclark40v's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    nice look
    Quote Originally Posted by simon2004 View Post
    looks good mate
    Cheers guys
    Sam,




    Gone

  8. #7
    dsmclark40v's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutkin View Post
    is that stuff legal though, I like it but just wonder if the local police would have me over in seconds.
    I am not sure about the legality of it. I'll let you know if I get pulled on it tho
    Sam,




    Gone

  9. #8
    dsmclark40v's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by J7USS View Post
    Though it does Look well id say too dark if im honest. The s4 headlamps are partly "joey modded" already so I would have gone with a lighter tint.
    Ill reinstall my ETKA this weekend mate and if you havnt got the info you need ill forward you the pdf.
    I was worried it might be too dark but I do quite like the look of them. My plan is tho, as my current headlight lens are a bit weathered, is to have them like this for the summer and then try and get hold of another set of lens for winter time and then maybe get the lighter tint on those ones as if the light output is badly affected and most of the roads around my way are unlit it isn't going to be much fun.

    If you could forward me the pdf that would be great J7uss I did have a copy of etka but couldn't get it to install
    Sam,




    Gone

  10. #9
    J7USS's Avatar
    Shuddup Foooool!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    LEICESTER
    Posts
    3,671
    Yeah no what you saying, they do look nice though but too dark for the reasons you stated - light output. Good idea though especially for the price!
    No worries mate, ill reinstall mine and if you can let me know what info/pages you require then ill sort it for you No probs.
    Drop me your email address to mate.

  11. #10
    dsmclark40v's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by J7USS View Post
    Yeah no what you saying, they do look nice though but too dark for the reasons you stated - light output. Good idea though especially for the price!
    No worries mate, ill reinstall mine and if you can let me know what info/pages you require then ill sort it for you No probs.
    Drop me your email address to mate.
    pm sent
    Sam,




    Gone

  12. #11
    quattrojames's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    13,698

    My Social Networking

    Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmclark30v View Post
    I also recently replaced the lower grille as it had a chunk missing out of it, Bought the engine undertrays as it was missing them when I bought it and picked up some B7 front need to find a working copy of EtKA to see what else I need or if anyone on here has a copy and could send me a pdf diagram of whats needed that would be great.
    Nice to hear some good news from you Sam

    Do you still have the old grille? I may be interested in it if you have.

    I can probably do you the pdf too if J7 starts dragging his heels with it
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

  13. #12
    dsmclark40v's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    Nice to hear some good news from you Sam

    Do you still have the old grille? I may be interested in it if you have.

    I can probably do you the pdf too if J7 starts dragging his heels with it
    I do still have the lower grille and its yours if you want it.

    I haven't got the pdf yet but I am in no rush
    Sam,




    Gone

  14. #13
    quattrojames's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    13,698

    My Social Networking

    Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Cheers, I've PM'd you.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

  15. #14
    crazy88's Avatar
    Loving the anonymity

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,722
    I am really liking the headlight lamin-x mate! Agreed that maybe the Fuzz will have something to say, but see how that goes.

    Where did you get the Lamin-x from? I have my old headlights in my cellar (from when the wife decided to try shorten my car) and have considered a practice run joey mod on them as it's something i'd really like to do, but just don't have the balls or time yet.

    And 16mpg! that's mental. I spent yesterday foot flat to the floor and still got 28ish according to my DIS. Admittedly it doesn't go like an S4 though, haha.

    Oh, and do the wheels darker, they'll look amazing!!!


  16. #15
    alcoholic pervert

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chalford - the Cotswolds.
    Posts
    181
    I really like those lights. Kinda evil.

    Are those grills round the fogs standard S4? The cutout in the lower bumper looks the same size as on mine. Wonder if those would fit my car? I've only got one grill remaining since a pheasant posted itself through the other one at 125mph the other day!

  17. #16
    dsmclark40v's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy88 View Post
    I am really liking the headlight lamin-x mate! Agreed that maybe the Fuzz will have something to say, but see how that goes.

    Where did you get the Lamin-x from? I have my old headlights in my cellar (from when the wife decided to try shorten my car) and have considered a practice run joey mod on them as it's something i'd really like to do, but just don't have the balls or time yet.

    And 16mpg! that's mental. I spent yesterday foot flat to the floor and still got 28ish according to my DIS. Admittedly it doesn't go like an S4 though, haha.

    Oh, and do the wheels darker, they'll look amazing!!!
    Cheers Crazy. I got it from Lamin-X.com in the US of A. they do the kits over there, the uk website only has it in film form which you have to cut out yourself. You can still see the lights clearly when they are on and indicators as well, so hopefully I shouldn't have any trouble. was following a police car Saturday afternoon and they didn't do anything, was hanging back tho

    Yeah doing some quick maths I think the last tank of fuel actually worked out closer to 14 mpg as I only managed 215 miles out of the tank well you can't take the money with you!

    Yeah I want to do the wheels darker there is a guy recommended local to me who will refurb them for 50 a wheel and will paint them any colour you want. So I'll do that when I order some new rubber
    Sam,




    Gone

  18. #17
    dsmclark40v's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    I really like those lights. Kinda evil.

    Are those grills round the fogs standard S4? The cutout in the lower bumper looks the same size as on mine. Wonder if those would fit my car? I've only got one grill remaining since a pheasant posted itself through the other one at 125mph the other day!
    Thanks that's the look I was sort of going for.

    The bumper is all standard. If you want I can measure them so you can compare
    Sam,




    Gone

  19. #18
    BillTheButcher's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    132
    14/16 MPG. LOL!

    We drove over to France for a week's holiday recently and I managed to get 26 MPG average out of it and haven't seen it dip much below that since we've been back either. I wonder if the remap has anything to do with it...

    So glad that you're enjoying ownership for a change.

  20. #19
    alcoholic pervert

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chalford - the Cotswolds.
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmclark30v View Post
    If you want I can measure them so you can compare
    Only if you happen to in the vicinity with a tape measure - don't go to any trouble!

  21. #20
    dsmclark40v's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    Only if you happen to in the vicinity with a tape measure - don't go to any trouble!
    Just had a quick measure its about 40cm wide and just under 15cm. here is a photo, its just a crappy phone pic

    Sam,




    Gone

  22. #21
    dsmclark40v's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by BillTheButcher View Post
    14/16 MPG. LOL!

    We drove over to France for a week's holiday recently and I managed to get 26 MPG average out of it and haven't seen it dip much below that since we've been back either. I wonder if the remap has anything to do with it...

    So glad that you're enjoying ownership for a change.
    Well mine has been remapped but I am not that happy with it. highest I have seen is 24mpg whilst driving at about 65mph on the motorway but it was slowly creeping up. Looks like I am going to have to get high flow cats then bill! they will pay for themselves! its currently at 17.8mpg and reckons I can get 300 miles out of a tank... but I'll have to see it to believe it!

    yeah finally enjoying it, although still get paranoid now and again when I think I hear its making a noise and then mute the radio to check but its all fine
    Sam,




    Gone

  23. #22
    quattrojames's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    13,698

    My Social Networking

    Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Lol I remember after I had my second recon engine fitted I heard a massive "thrump thrump thrump" noise. My heart sank and I thought not again, quickly muted the music and it was a Chinook flying overhead!
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

  24. #23
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    1,629
    So jealous of this car
    Atlas Grey A4 2.5 TDI Quattro Sport.
    Mods so far: Cruise control, DIS, Heated Mirrors, Tuning box, Xenonx, Centre Arm Rest, MFSW, RNS-E, SDS and Aero Wipers.
    To do: None yet.
    Next: Auto dip rearview mirror and Folding Mirrors.

  25. #24
    crazy88's Avatar
    Loving the anonymity

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,722
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    Lol I remember after I had my second recon engine fitted I heard a massive "thrump thrump thrump" noise. My heart sank and I thought not again, quickly muted the music and it was a Chinook flying overhead!
    haha! Bet you were glad of the chinook then. I always get paranoid when driving too, often due to burning smells and noises. I worry that they're from mine and mute the radio/ keep the window open for as long as I can until Ii accept that they're not from mine

    Hope you can get the mpg up a little mate, less than 300 for a tank must hurt the wallet a bit.


  26. #25
    alcoholic pervert

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chalford - the Cotswolds.
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmclark30v View Post
    Just had a quick measure its about 40cm wide and just under 15cm. here is a photo, its just a crappy phone pic


    Thanks for that. I'll measure up later. In the photo it looks like the two 'fins' on the left side are recessed into the upright - I guess I'd have to cut either the fins or make some holes in the upright for them.


    Cheers!

  27. #26
    BillTheButcher's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmclark30v View Post
    Well mine has been remapped but I am not that happy with it. highest I have seen is 24mpg whilst driving at about 65mph on the motorway but it was slowly creeping up. Looks like I am going to have to get high flow cats then bill! they will pay for themselves! its currently at 17.8mpg and reckons I can get 300 miles out of a tank... but I'll have to see it to believe it!
    I *think* the map on mine was done by AMD Essex but it was done a couple of owners ago and the person I bought it from didn't have any paperwork relating to it. All he knew was that the remap was done at the same time as the catback and cats were fitted. AMD can't confirm it as their records are based on the customer's name not the car's registration. I've heard quite a lot of bad things about AMD since they moved from Bicester but I suppose that's the nature of forums sometimes... If need be I'll get it checked by a recommended tuner closer to home *but* at the moment I get very good fuel economy (as above: average of 26 MPG rising to 28 when cruising for any distance at motorway speeds), phenomenal pull in any gear from very low revs and all hell breaks loose from about 3k up to the red line.

  28. #27
    dsmclark40v's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy88 View Post
    Hope you can get the mpg up a little mate, less than 300 for a tank must hurt the wallet a bit.
    Yeap she's a thirsty girl so it doesn't last long as I have to drive 60 odd miles to work and back. But now the novelty factor has worn off a bit and I am just enjoying wafting around with the odd burst I should hopefully start seeing better economy!
    Sam,




    Gone

  29. #28
    dsmclark40v's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by BillTheButcher View Post
    I *think* the map on mine was done by AMD Essex but it was done a couple of owners ago and the person I bought it from didn't have any paperwork relating to it. All he knew was that the remap was done at the same time as the catback and cats were fitted. AMD can't confirm it as their records are based on the customer's name not the car's registration. I've heard quite a lot of bad things about AMD since they moved from Bicester but I suppose that's the nature of forums sometimes... If need be I'll get it checked by a recommended tuner closer to home *but* at the moment I get very good fuel economy (as above: average of 26 MPG rising to 28 when cruising for any distance at motorway speeds), phenomenal pull in any gear from very low revs and all hell breaks loose from about 3k up to the red line.
    I was thinking of changing mine for the APR remap. Because using the cruise control stalk you can change the map to normal or tuned and put it in a valet mode.

    But its strange that you are getting mid 20's when I am getting so much lower mine is mostly motorway driving as well and hardly ever any stop start town driving!
    Sam,




    Gone

  30. #29
    technics100's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Co Antrim
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy88 View Post
    I always get paranoid when driving too, often due to burning smells and noises. I worry that they're from mine and mute the radio/ keep the window open for as long as I can until Ii accept that they're not from mine
    I was the same when I had the S6, I had the gearbag rebuilt and after that every time I felt a judder I thought it was the box.. although it turned out it wasn't fixed right.. I got fed up and sold it.. I think I averaged 17.6mpg over the 9 months of ownership.. still you have to feed the horses, all 340 of them...

    Enjoy it now..


    2003 Silver A2 1.4 TDi - 65mpg & 30 a year to tax - ;-)
    2003 Atlas Grey A4 2.0 S-line - gone
    2000 Goodwood Green S6 4.2 V8 - gone

  31. #30
    BillTheButcher's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmclark30v View Post
    I was thinking of changing mine for the APR remap. Because using the cruise control stalk you can change the map to normal or tuned and put it in a valet mode.
    Nice.

    If I do take it anywhere it would probably be MRC as they're not that far away from me and I've heard really good things about them. But as long as all seems well then I'm just going to leave it alone.

    Quote Originally Posted by dsmclark30v
    But its strange that you are getting mid 20's when I am getting so much lower mine is mostly motorway driving as well and hardly ever any stop start town driving!
    Yeah it's weird. I had to drive through the centre of Reading in rush hour last night to pick up my missus and it dipped to 20 but was back up to 26 by the time we got home. Maybe I've got a dodgy readout.

  32. #31
    quattrojames's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    13,698

    My Social Networking

    Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    In my (limited) experience it's not unusual for the DIS to over read the average mpg by 10% or more.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

  33. #32
    BillTheButcher's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    In my (limited) experience it's not unusual for the DIS to over read the average mpg by 10% or more.
    We're doing a 450 mile round trip this weekend so I'm going to work out the MPG myself and see how it compares to what the DIS is telling me.
    Last edited by BillTheButcher; 4th June 2010 at 10:50.

  34. #33
    dsmclark40v's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    In my (limited) experience it's not unusual for the DIS to over read the average mpg by 10% or more.
    Great so I am getting even less then! lol

    Was a lovely summers evening last night so I thought I would fit my S4 caliper anti rattle springs



    Made me realise that my alloys need a refurb bad!
    Sam,




    Gone

  35. #34
    dsmclark40v's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by BillTheButcher View Post
    We're doing a 450 mile round trip this weekend so I'm going to work out the MPG myself and see how it compares to what the DIS is telling me.
    Yeah that's how I do it, I take the DIS with a handful of salt! What does your range say though with a full tank?
    Sam,




    Gone

  36. #35
    crazy88's Avatar
    Loving the anonymity

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,722
    If those alloys need a refurb bad, then mine are beyond repair

    The S4 looks ace just popping through the wheel there, very nice indeed. I really do hope that i can afford an S4 one day, and that my wife lets me (which is unlikely, haha)


  37. #36
    BillTheButcher's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmclark30v View Post
    Yeah that's how I do it, I take the DIS with a handful of salt! What does your range say though with a full tank?
    380 when it's brimmed.

    Quote Originally Posted by crazy88 View Post
    If those alloys need a refurb bad, then mine are beyond repair
    That's what I thought. Mine need some serious TLC.

  38. #37
    dsmclark40v's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy88 View Post
    If those alloys need a refurb bad, then mine are beyond repair

    The S4 looks ace just popping through the wheel there, very nice indeed. I really do hope that i can afford an S4 one day, and that my wife lets me (which is unlikely, haha)
    Well its all on the inside of the alloy that mainly needs repairing the fronts aren't too bad but it is starting to flake round the edge of the spokes in places so something needs to be done soon
    Sam,




    Gone

  39. #38
    dsmclark40v's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by BillTheButcher View Post
    380 when it's brimmed.
    Really! sure yours isn't a diesel
    Sam,




    Gone

  40. #39
    BillTheButcher's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmclark30v View Post
    Really! sure yours isn't a diesel
    LOL! Unless I've got the figures wrong that's about 26 MPG isn't it? I'd be very upset if I was getting that from a VAG diesel.

  41. #40
    BillTheButcher's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by BillTheButcher View Post
    We're doing a 450 mile round trip this weekend so I'm going to work out the MPG myself and see how it compares to what the DIS is telling me.
    450 miles done and 25.7 MPG was the average (worked out by me based on the amount of fuel I put in and the TomTom's journey distance). This included about half an hour stuck in stationary traffic on the M6/M5 coming home yesterday as well as some hoofing it off roundabouts and a bit of a play with a 54 plate M3 who didn't seem very happy about not being able to get away from me.

    I saw 28 a few times and even got the missus to take some pictures of the DIS on her mobile. I'll post them up once we've got them off her phone.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO