SD cards

im thinking all sd cards are the same so id look places like argos tesco have cheap ones too

As far as the pre-2010 RNS-E is concerned, not all SD cards are compatible. They will NOT work if they are of the SDHC standard. These are becoming increasingly difficult to source at capacities 2gb+. The maximum size possible in non-SDHC cards is 4gb.

If it's a 4gb card you're after, trust me, they're now rarer than rocking horse sh1t encrusted with hen's teeth. 99% will be SDHC.

As per NHN I buy all my SD cards from www.mymemory.co.uk
Not just for the B6 but also for all my other electronic items.
Good quality cards and good prices.

speed is NOT the issue: even a Class4 card would load an entire song in about 0.5sec.... but as mentioned above, if they're B6 OEM (or any pre 2010 RNS-E's) they just have to be SD and NOT SDHC.

I was buying them from picstop,co.uk a year ago for £7 each inc postage... but they were the last cheap supplier to still stock them and last time I looked, they were out :( Not hunted aroudn recendly, but I think they were £20+!!

There are some extra minor hurdles around formatting, file numbers, number of folders, M3U formatting (but recommended that you do use M3U's and put them in the root, seems to speed upi indexing). If you're running winXP anywwhere, then look at getting Ben's RNSe MP3 utlity.... really helps with creating correctly formatted playlists.

now... more interestingly, has anybody tried one of these?!?

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/WiFi-SD-Cards/Eye-Fi/Eye-Fi-Geo-2GB-WiFi-SD-Card

2Gb WiFi SD card.... so I guess it's theoretically possible to update your playlist while the card is still in the car parked in the drive... or does that software only handle uploading jpg's, rather than creating a network share space where you can send data?

Looking at their website, there seems to be some sort of push client on the card that will send the pictures to a predefined location when in range of specified wi-fi networks. So it looks like it runs the wrong way round for updating playlists.

Neat idea tho'...

oh well... back to the idea of an Ampire DVT-200/400 and then a Popcornhour A-110 (HD media player).... 2Tb hdd and wifi for direct playback of everything from MP3's and lossless audi to avi files streaming off youtube and MKV files, AVI's and DVD/blueray movie images:and should be able to run off the car's 12V... only problem is that I'd be tempted to run it fully live, so need to remember to switch it off manually, otherwise my battery would be flat the whole time... sigh.... stilla few months away from that though :(

^^ but looking at around £650 for the TV tuner + Ampire and another £200 for the PCH and still need to add a HDD... so it'snot a cheap option, but at least some of that will be very transferable (not that I'm planning on switching any time soon).