Dead Battery

Nutkin

Reaction score
Had the battery go flat tonight thought must have left something on so jump started drove for about 45mins to get home thought that would charge it up.

Got home turned off and turned back on again fine.

Now about an hour later she wont start, dead battery.

Since she could get enough charge in her while driving id say the alternators fine. but should a battery just go like that in the space of an hour. nothing was on and couldnt hear the fans going.

Is this as simple as replace the battery or do i have other problems ?

04 reg andasume the battery hasnt been changed so probably due after 6 years.

get a multi meter on the battery, check the voltage, and then get it running and check it again, should be about 13.8 - 14.2 volts with the car running, if its around 12 volts or less then more than likely alternator

get a multi meter on the battery, check the voltage, and then get it running and check it again, should be about 13.8 - 14.2 volts with the car running, if its around 12 volts or less then more than likely alternator

Thing is i dont think its the alternator, as it does charge the battery its just the battery wont keep the charge.

Thing is i dont think its the alternator, as it does charge the battery its just the battery wont keep the charge.

i don't think it's the alternator either. if it was, the battary would go flat after you drove it for a while.

like scot said, muiltimeter on the battary with it running, should be somewhere around 14 volts with no less than 10 with everything off.

Last edited:
the battary is just for starting the car and the alternator powers the engine and everything else when its running. if the alternater is broken then the engine will be running of the power from the battary and it would go flat after a while.

because your able to jump it and drive it without a problem then i would say it was probley the battary.

if you don't know anyone with a muiltimeter, some guarages offer a free battary test.

if i was having the same problem then i would probley just cange the battary.

Sounds like the batt has gone south, other wise it wouldn't continue to run when the jump leads were removed.

6 years is a decent life for one, get yourself to Halfords and pay the few quid so they can fit it as it's a proper ball ache on a B6 to do

i dont think i want some guy from halfords touching my car tbh.

I wouldn't want someone from Halfords touching anybody's car! Hope it's just the battery mate, and not some obscure problem. Let us know how you get on.

Just double check your glovebox light, i noticed mine was strugling to start a few weeks ago, whilst doing something else i noticed the switch on my glovebox had broken so wheather the door was open or closed the light was still on, disconnected it untill i can get a new one and all seems fine now, you don't need a major power drop for the car not to start.

Snap!! I did the "glovebox" repair on my red one and I didnt realise the Light switch wasnt working properly hence why it drained my battery, I only found out because I had to take the glovebox out and noticed one evening before I did it that it was lit up!!

Just double check your glovebox light, i noticed mine was strugling to start a few weeks ago, whilst doing something else i noticed the switch on my glovebox had broken so wheather the door was open or closed the light was still on, disconnected it untill i can get a new one and all seems fine now, you don't need a major power drop for the car not to start.

For what a fiver, and he has to remove the windscreen trim and associated parts to access it then lift it in and out, he is also insured / covered if he breaks or snaps anything which you might miss when swapping it over.

Hey it's all good if you want to DIY it, i was stating how awkward it is was all

For what a fiver, and he has to remove the windscreen trim and associated parts to access it then lift it in and out, he is also insured / covered if he breaks or snaps anything which you might miss when swapping it over.

Hey it's all good if you want to DIY it, i was stating how awkward it is was all

No worries mate i was just saying, Ive helped an actual halfords employee remove the battery from a B6 Cab because he had no idea how to do it.

You dont need to remove the winscreen shield all i did today was move the vac pipes ram my long reach socket in and undo the bolt. even has a lil plastic handle to move it out the way, out and in in 20 mins.

Seems fine now so i think its all good. Got a Bosch silverline from halfords for 80 quid which was 40 quid off retail using a trade card number me mate txt me :) with a bargain like that i even went for the bigger power one so when the sub goes in im all good to go.