Blown head gasket? - some problems now solved!

drewbee

Reaction score
Right, need some advice please guys.

Few days ago I got d car diagnosed and had 2 injector faults. Straight after that the car wouldn't start. Jumped it and it was fine. Next day it took 3 attempts to start up, following day it wouldn't start at all. Just got the AA to have a look at it, they couldn't start her up.

Coolant was empty and had a tiny bit of brown gooey stuff on the oil cap, he said some oils can produce that or it's a blown head gasket.

He said it could also be that the injectors are flooded with fuel, so it won't start, or the coolant has gone in the cylinders ( think that's what he said) which blew the head gasket.

What's the likelyhood of each if d above?

My car is serviced regularly, and apart from misfiring there's no problems with it.

Just to add, I had timing belt, thermostat and water pump changed 2 weeks ago.

D AA geezer said it's also a possibility that when the timing belt was changed, when d mechanic topped up water, he didn't let all d air/pressure out and as result, blew the head gasket. But my car hasn't overheated, temp needle is bang on at 90degrees.

Please help, car is now stuck on the drive, won't start and my mechanic won't be able to take a look till sun/next week.

Last edited:
did he not test it ? when i had a head gasket go they did a test on the water with some thing that changes colour if its gone.

my head went on my car wen i bought it and iwas fetching it bk from london got seven mile off home and car cut out. so i called the aa out and he told me same as u mate but still on with fixing mine i had too buy a second hand cylinder head cause mine was in such state but mine presurised and blown radiator too 800 pound later in parts and still ant got it on the road dont trust dome mechanics lol done most of it myself as dab hand with a spanner lol

did he not test it ? when i had a head gasket go they did a test on the water with some thing that changes colour if its gone.

It needs to be running to use a block tester, so don't think that would work in this situation.

I had a similar issue with my BMW before I sold it. It was flooded injectors in that case and was a proper b**ch to start, even after 3 days sitting on the drive. Ended up tow starting it. As for the coolant loss, couldn't say I'm afraid.

issues now solved!

got my mechanic mate round just now, pluged in vag-com and some codes came up - nothing indicating the starting up problem. jump started it again, no luck - then for some mysterious reason, it just started up!! just like that - how weird.

so we took it for a spin, didnt over heat, but hit 90 pretty quick and stayed on 90. after we came back from the drive, he undid the coolant bottle and coolant just poured out the bottom of the tank, just a vocanic eruption - LOL. coolant loss problem now solved.

going to get a new coolant bottle tomorrow, and fit a new battery - then im going to drive it around and burn off the redex and see how things go as its still smoking.

my mechanic said it dosnt look like the head gasket no more.... what do you think?

i was not sure how the guy did mine tux but it was just a thought.
any way now its running you can have it checked

Last edited: