Keys ! What options do I have

stevereid

Reaction score
My flip key is looking tired and doesn't like staying closed, so I was looking to replace it.
I only got one flip with the car.
What options do I have ? Avoiding the dealers if possible.
The part Number of the key is 8Z0 837 231 with no prevailing letter

Get you DIY hat on.

My mate had this issue so I followed these steps:

- Buy a new fob on ebay
- Hack away at existing fob, salvage the actual key, immobiliser and motherboard (and of course the battery)
- Open up the new key and put everything from the old fob in this one. I had to get bluetak to hold down his immobiliser, but worked fine (have the immobiliser as close to the key as possible)

- We had trouble getting the new key inside the key enclosure and staying (the screws sucked) so we soldered it in, worked fine.

Thats the budget option anyway.. lol

That sounds like a brutal solution :) knowing my luck, I'd damage the immob or board and be ****** :)
Just looked inside mine again, the board looks like its held in by 2 brass/gold pins at either corner and wheres the immob chip ? :)

I have kindof done similar. Although if you only have 1 key, i'd recommend getting another cut pretty sharpish. If you lose it, it'll be a fortune to replace it.

I bought a new fob from eBay, with a blank key blade, and got it cut at a local key place. I have still to get the new transponder/ immobiliser chip programmed as the key starts the car, but it stalls instantly.

Once done though (by shark_90) I will have two working keys. My old key will be resigned to the safe cupboard for emergencies, and my new one will be my daily key. Remember though, that you cannot program the immobiliser from VAGCOM, it has to be super special software...or Audi.

Just make sure that if you buy a fob you get the exact same one, frequency, and all other codes etc. There are people on here who know better than me though.

The immobiliser chip looks like a little glass tablet too, dunno the exact location off the top of my head, but it will be as near the key blade as possible.

Double Post for the WIN

His chip was embedded into the plastic next to where the key lies, just above from the board, was quite easy to get out from what I remember once the key was taken apart.

I once took the key apart in a Fiat Punto and that key was all rubber, so had to slowly slice away at the rubber to get the chip out being careful not to smash it, as it was a glass chip.

I do have the black master key and code, just one flip key.
I've seen the flip key shell's and blank blades on ebay, to swap the chip and board from my existing key into it, but was weary of pulling my current key to pieces.
There are a couple of keys on ebay with the same part number and frequency as mine, would they just need a blade cut and then coded to the car by Audi, aslong as the part number and frequency matched ?

Also dont let the 'glass chip' scare you... its pretty solid actually. I was sweating when I first did it expecting to smash it easily lol.

Saying that, don't purposely drop it or anything haha.

:) thats it then.. I'll drop it now you've said that :)
Does the top part of the key, the bit that holds the blade come apart ok or does it have to be broken apart ? i.e..is it meant to come apart ?

I do have the black master key and code, just one flip key.
I've seen the flip key shell's and blank blades on ebay, to swap the chip and board from my existing key into it, but was weary of pulling my current key to pieces.
There are a couple of keys on ebay with the same part number and frequency as mine, would they just need a blade cut and then coded to the car by Audi, aslong as the part number and frequency matched ?

As far as I know, yes! Shark_90 does it, or audi that I know of. Audi charge a fortune, but it shouldn't be too bad as far as I know. However, VAGCOM may be able to do it if you already know your immobiliser code?! (someone else can correct me). I have no idea what my immobiliser code is, so it has to be retrieved, which is the hard part.

As far as I know, the immobiliser is the only hard part to remove from the key incase it cracks. You will also need to make sure that if you buy one from eBay it's a virgin transponder/ immobiliser chip as they are a one-shot programme, and cannot be done again.

Snapped as in broken or snapped as in clipped open ? :)

Clipped, pulled open. Just pull it hard, or perhaps use a screwdriver to lever the tab up. Then pull it. This part has the battery, central locking stuff in it. The bit with the key blade has the transponder also.

Yeah, its the bit with they blade and transponder in that i'm concerned about getting apart, i've got the main body off, just wanted to see how the bit with the blade could be opened. Plus the board looks very securely fitted to the plastic body using pins

ok, so will the internals of my key fit into the case of the new style keys then ? :)

That is where someone else steps in! :sorry: I have seen a thread on here recently which I believe confirms that with a bit of jiggery-pokery it can. Have a look for it, can't remember who it was that was trying to do it.

I found the thread crazy, but don't think i'll go down that route, think i'll try and find just the key body on ebay and transfer the insides of mine over, just need to find the right case now :)

dont try and lever the top part of the key open!!!!
(the bit that hold the flip key)
there is a little screw under the audi logo!!!

i cant help you remove the circut board tho as i never managed to do mine either!!

anyway i bought a virgin key from ebay for £12 and had it programed at a locksmiths.
works a treat
hope you get on ok

MDA,
You said you boght a virgin key from ebay, did you buy a key that matched the exact partnumber and frequency of your existing key ?
Did the locksmith code it to your car aswell as do the blade ?
Thanks mate

just do the b7 key upgrade, do a search on here to make sure which a4 b7 key is relovent to your b6 key, trying to put a b6 internal into a b7 key is way to much more messin about

1Wheel, is the B7 upgrade easier than swapping internals ?
Ta
Steve

dont try and lever the top part of the key open!!!!
(the bit that hold the flip key)
there is a little screw under the audi logo!!!

i cant help you remove the circut board tho as i never managed to do mine either!!

anyway i bought a virgin key from ebay for £12 and had it programed at a locksmiths.
works a treat
hope you get on ok

Good call on that, I had forgotten about that little screw!!!

yes steve, but the glass immo chip still needs to be removed !, be very carefull if its ya only key.
DONT !!!! get any new shape key !!! you must get one from a a4 b7, the a3 etc dont work, tried and tested, by myself and nhn

1Wheel,
Do the partnumbers and immob frequency have to match on the B7 key ? Or will any B7 key from an A4 ok ?
Steve

Just to add my 2p's worth...
I did a B7 key upgrade a while back and getting the IMOB chip out of my B6 key was the hardest thing i have ever done.. Took me about 3 hours??
In short, i took the screw out in the top section of the key, but it would seem the top part of the key was either glued shut sealed at factory.
Whatever i tried i just couldn't get the thing to split without damaging the key. They are VERY strong too, and very hard to split without smashing the IMOB chip.
In the end mine went in the vice and i had to get the dremal out and carefully slice it in two...

IMO it was a little bit too much for to swap to a B7 key.. It was just a little less risky for me as i had two keys and i was working on my "bad" one...

So be warned :)

Chris

Thats what is concerning me, damaging what i've got. And the fact the circuit board looks like its held in with brass pins and doesn't seem to want to move !

Ok, my current key part number is 8Z0 837 231 with no following leter and Frequency 433.92 Mhz.
So what part number and frequency B7 Key do I need ? so i can try and find one on ebay .

Steve

HI THERE

Ive just been through the same thing as you are contemplating so here goes

firstly i wanted 2 keys, so to me taking apart the only key i had was lunacy

so i purchased a second key fob with identical numbers and letters from ebay for £25 (like brand new)
next thing i puchased from ebay again was the top part of the key(bit that holds the blade) with a virgin transponder fitted into it for £8 this came with a blank blade in it so i needed to get it cut and being that i hate going into town i used a guy on ebay advertising that he could cut a key for my car from a digi photo £11. This arrived and so i swapped it with the blank one and it worked a treat so now i had a fob with the same numbers with a virgin transponder and a blade cut to my car.

All that was left to do was to sink it with the remote functions (now done) and get it coded to the immobiliser using shark90 at mansfield (to do when im passing next) if all goes to plan total should be around £88

Hane a look here http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?199643-B7-Key-Fob-for-B6-DIY, all you need to know, as for removing the immob chip open up the key heat around the immob chip to sofen the plastic and melt the glue it then comes out easy with a pic tool, the problem you will have is yours is a2001 model and the ccm is different so the key won't pair so you will need a new ccm same as i do mines a 2002 and you need one from a 2003 or later, i've changed all the bits over so i have a working B7 key (opens door manualy and starts car) but can't open via the remote "yet"