Electric Windows/Door Lock Problems

donsajid

Reaction score
So I took my audi a4 b6 2.5 tdi to an audi guy(no names) earlier in the year for a reconditioned multitronic gearbox and last week the block PRND was back on so decided to get it checked back in ASAP afer that. Turned out to be an incorrect clutch pressure reading which had caused the PRND to flash. So the guy did the clutch pressure adaptions and sent me on my way. He also mentioned that he had (at no extra charge) done something via VCDS which would now mean that my one touch windows would work as this had apparently thrown an error when he was doing the scan.
Now, since he did that, The electric windows do not work, the drivers door does not lock or open from the remote fob, in fact there is no functions available from my drivers side door. When I showed it to him, he said that the error had been thrown that there was no communication with the electric windows regulator and that this would need to be replaced. £161 + VAT and 1-2 hours labour, taking the bill up to ~£300.

Anyways, went to sanburn audi spares in cov and picked up a regulator for £45.00 and had it fitted and still the problem remains. Sometimes, the door will open and close with the key and other times it will not. When the door opens with the key then once started all elextric windows can be operated from their respective switches with the drivers door being the exception and remanining stubbornly dead as a dodo.

I am at this point fairly certain that it was as a direct result of him fiddling with the window settings in VCDS that has led me to this predicment. Ideally, I would like a checklist of things to get him to try to definitely eliminate all other possibilities... We have checked the fuses and none are blown....

I am more than happy to have it out with this guy but short of buying a brand new regulator, I do not know what else to try..

Any thoughts or suggestions will be very gratefully received, as with the good weather just hitting us, this problem could not have come at a worse time.

Thanks for your time....

Pull back the rubber coupling that connects the drivers door to the car and check that the wiring is ok, i have seen this many times that a wire or wires inside the rubber gaiter have broken with the constant bending, its worth a look and hopefully its an easy fix

I agree, water got into my passenger side one that started playing havok with the door locking/not locking/not opening.
Failing that take it back to the guy or get someone else who knows what they are doing to check it out.
Maybe the window thing was turned off for a reason?

Hi,

Yes I did go back to him, and he has very nicely said that he will order a brand new window regulator and install it to see if the problem persists.
I think I have now figured out the exact procedure for making all the windows work from their respective doors except for the main drivers door.

If I lock the car with the fob and then manually lock the drivers door, then when I return, If I do not unlock from the fob and instead just unlock my drivers door with the key, When i get in and start my car, the passenger and rear windows will be operational.

It seems as though there is some problem with the drivers side lock but could this be taking out the controls on drivers side....?

cheers swarcup,

after more investigation it did turn out to be the wiring in the door just as you had suggested...

Dont know how easy was to fix though, they took £100 off me for 1.5 hours work!! still at least im not cooking like a chicken in there anymore.

i have this problem with my drivers door now too need to look at it i no its the wiers from the door as if you wigel it it works again just seems to be getting worse though :rolleyes:

my friends audi a4 b6 has a similier problem with windows and mirrors not working , i scanned the ecu and comes up with no communications with drivers door ecu which is the electric window motor. tried his motor in my car because it is the same part number and works perfectly , checked all wiring so i think it is probably a problem with the convienance unit which is lots of money but also a very common problem .

Hi,
Suddenly ALL windows stopped working (Audi 100). I parked the car for 10 minutes, came back and the windows stopped working! When I turned the ignition off, a not very loud buzzing sound started to come out from somewhere underneath the steering column. When I opened the door, the buzzing sound stopped.
Any ideas?
Thanks