Is there a definitive Multitronic Gearbox maintenance regime????

mrmule

Reaction score
As above?

I know they are problematic (just like the RS6 box - utter plonker designed that...) I just want to know if anyone can recommend any preventative maintenance??

Mate is having trouble with his (2.5tdi) and I'd like to avoid any pitfalls if I can...

What do Audi say?

What is possible? Oil and filter and thats it??

I'm sure i read something about audi doing a flush gearoil change. Costs quite abit, but apparently its like a new car after.

Interesting. This must include the filter too?

No idea, I remember reading about them dropping the oil. Filling with fresh, activating it all, draining and filling back up with fresh.

Multitronic gearboxes require an oil change every 40,000 miles. It's a bit fiddly and time-consuming,but a good independent should be able to do it for about £150. By the way, when I say "require", I mean it. It has to be done, otherwise the life of the box is likely to be severely shortened.

Neglect of regular oil changes is the main reason why Multitronics have a reputation for being troublesome. The other is remapping turbo-diesels to push out torque levels that the box can sometimes have difficulty coping with. Keep them well maintained, and don't give them a job they weren't designed to do and they will generally perform well.

Yeah that's right single flush does'nt get all of the old oil out, secondary flush should rid gearbox of most of the old oil. It's not cheap I think from memory my mechanic quoted me £200 and that was for a single flush, fortunately found receipts showing job had been done year before I bought the car.
The gearbox oil is supposed to be changed every 40k and a rebuild will probably needed to be done around the 120k-150k mark.

I would just point out that this information is in the service book, if you take the trouble to read it.

Hi
Just recently did the oil change on my 2.5 multitronic, its reasonably new to me, & had no history of an oil change in its 80K.
I got the oil from Opie Oils - Fuchs Titan CVT ATF oil 5L for about £50. I had to rig up a gravity feed to feed it into the filler hole in the gearbox & run the gearbox up to 45C to allow the oil to expand & flow out. I used a VCDS to get the temp right but have used a digital thermometer blue tacked to the sump of my 2.5 Tiptronic on my previous A6.

As said it should be changed every 40K but I think I will do it every 20K as a precaution.

Apparently there is a clutch update (yes it has an in-built clutch) - which I think is a 6 plate design - which is fitted when they go wrong. The later ones already have this - I believe.

Mine is a late 03 so if anyone can confirm this I would be grateful. My wifes A4 also seems to be a multichronic but seeing as its an 04 I hope it has been updated.

My gearbox was OK & the only difference I can feel is the fact that it has lost an occassional 'shudder' as it goes uphill. I do however feel a little more relieved & reassured in the knowledge that the oil HAS now been changed.

In reading the forums there seems to be a highly recommended place in Milton Keynes that re-builds multitrinic gearboxes - so if all else fails..... http://www.inde-tech.co.uk/

John

Last edited:
standard factory multitronic has six-clutch, the 7 clutch upgrade will be needed at some point especially on high torque diesel models the input shaft can't cope also the multi-box ECU is prone to failure, mine failed on my prev, A4 at 16k then needed the seven clutch upgrade at 45K, 2004 A4 1.9 TDI 130 SPORT ...

standard factory multitronic has six-clutch, the 7 clutch upgrade will be needed at some point especially on high torque diesel models the input shaft can't cope also the multi-box ECU is prone to failure, mine failed on my prev, A4 at 16k then needed the seven clutch upgrade at 45K, 2004 A4 1.9 TDI 130 SPORT ...

Do we know what year Audi fitted the 7 clutch upgrade as standard? Anyway to find out?

Do we know what year Audi fitted the 7 clutch upgrade as standard? Anyway to find out?

I've been advised it was on the B7, but not sure, I had mine done at Driver Transmissons; Mosely rd B-Ham £1000 all in, genuine Audi parts and had it back the same day !!!

Last edited:
so many talks of multitronic not being reliable has put me off completely at the moment

considering an a4 b7 avant
wasn't really bothered on engine type as most seem quite economical, however the unreliability has pushed me to look at quattro models only as they are tiptronic?

so many talks of multitronic not being reliable has put me off completely at the moment

considering an a4 b7 avant
wasn't really bothered on engine type as most seem quite economical, however the unreliability has pushed me to look at quattro models only as they are tiptronic?

That sounds like scare-mongering to me. Any early issues of reliability with multitronic were sorted out well before the B7 came out. Just look for evidence that the oil has been changed when required, and there is no reason not to buy a B7 multitronic.

thanks, but even reading on the b7 section people advice against it along with other places