Urgent help needed with regard to passenger airbag..

holmefield

Reaction score
Does anybody know whether its possible to turn off the passenger airbag on my 54 plate tdi sport?

I've looked in the glove box and theres no key switch to turn it on and off,i've check all over the dash area but no luck. i cant believe that something so simple as that is an option, i didn't even think it would be an option as you'd expect family car to have it as standard.

Got a baby due in a week so gotta get it sorted somehow...

Any ideas anybody::(

It was an option, but there must be away of turning it off you can have it done @ audi so i've googled but its in the £500 region!!!

So i aint going to be getting it done by them......

Anybody had this problem and found an answer ?????

Yer i was kinda hopeing that vag-com can be used dont really want to have to pull part of the passenger dash out to add a wiring harness to buy pass the airbag.:keule:

what you can do, is unplug the air bag then put a resister accross the plug, this will fool the car in thinking that the air bag is still conected, weve done this in the past on mobility job, like hand controls to stop the knee air bag going of in the event of a crash

That sounds like a plan, i'll have a word with my man tomorrow i need to disconnect it but dont want the airbag light on all the time, your way seems easier than adding a wiring harness...:applaus:

Not the answer, but...
What about having the baby in the back using isofix? Maybe abit safer and saves you turning off the airbag.

Yer was going to do that when me and the misses are in the car together, but i'll have to pick the little one up on my own from time to each week so really need her in the front with me as i'd be able to see her easier + can reach her without have to pull over.

It just BUGS me so much that the damn key switch is an option !!! on a FAMILY sized car...:mad:

Safest place for the little'un is in the back on the passenger side of the car. If you are worried about not being able to see them we got a mirror that straps to the rear headrest. That way you can see them by looking in your rear view mirror and into that mirror.
As for being able to reach to her you'll prob find she will be sound asleep soon after you set off so its not really much of a necessity.

mines an SE and i havnt got the option to turn it off either
my old x reg A3 was an SE and that had it !!

hope you get it sorted fella

Last edited:
Well, my non airbag keyswitch glovebox hinge broke & I got another complete glovebox from a breakers with CD Changer fitting & the key switch with wiring for the airbag disable. The three previously unused wires on the car side of the wiring loom mated with the three wires from the three wires from the keyswitch.
I set the airbag switch to disable and the airbag warning light came on, and it stayed on. I VAG Commed the car to clear the airbag fault but whichever way the key was set the Airbag warning light came on.
THis suggests the airbag module software needs changing/tweaking to recognise the airbag switch is present. I wonder if it can be done via VAGCOM ? Anyone know ?
I have just left the airbag disable switch wiring completely disconnected.

Top tip - don't mess with airbags unless you know what you are doing and have VAG-COM.

Last edited:
i only know about vws but I asked this question about my old golf, apparently you can only turn it off with vag com. plenty of cars have a switch but audi and vw dont.