Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
    2nd Gear

Status

Urgent help needed with regard to passenger airbag..

Does anybody know whether its possible to turn off the passenger airbag on my 54 plate tdi sport?

I've looked in the glove box and theres no key switch to turn it on and off,i've check all over the dash area but no luck. i cant believe that something so simple as that is an option, i didn't even think it would be an option as you'd expect family car to have it as standard.

Got a baby due in a week so gotta get it sorted somehow...

Any ideas anybody:
    A4 TDI SPORT with full leather and thats it as standard.Fitted by me.Remap,S-LINE BADGES.S4 Wing mirrors.DIS,Seat Cupra splitter.Rear parking sensors.5k hids+LED side lights+DRL lights+chrome indicator bulbs,amber fog lights.LED Xenon number plate bulbs,upper/lower front grills+boot strip in matt black.Ipod dock.19" BMW X5 SPORT CONCAVE ALLOYS,9 J FRONT 10 J REAR 20mm hub adapters front ET 28,18mm hub adapters rear ET 27.

TO DO.B5 spring perches.Renault rear diffuser?? S/S exhaust.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    errm, dont quote me on this but i am sure it was an option....

2nd Gear

Status
    It was an option, but there must be away of turning it off you can have it done @ audi so i've googled but its in the 500 region!!!

So i aint going to be getting it done by them......

Anybody had this problem and found an answer ?????
    A4 TDI SPORT with full leather and thats it as standard.Fitted by me.Remap,S-LINE BADGES.S4 Wing mirrors.DIS,Seat Cupra splitter.Rear parking sensors.5k hids+LED side lights+DRL lights+chrome indicator bulbs,amber fog lights.LED Xenon number plate bulbs,upper/lower front grills+boot strip in matt black.Ipod dock.19" BMW X5 SPORT CONCAVE ALLOYS,9 J FRONT 10 J REAR 20mm hub adapters front ET 28,18mm hub adapters rear ET 27.

Reverse Gear

Status
    get somone with vag-com to do it for you!

2nd Gear

Status
    Yer i was kinda hopeing that vag-com can be used dont really want to have to pull part of the passenger dash out to add a wiring harness to buy pass the airbag.

5th Gear

Status
    what you can do, is unplug the air bag then put a resister accross the plug, this will fool the car in thinking that the air bag is still conected, weve done this in the past on mobility job, like hand controls to stop the knee air bag going of in the event of a crash

2nd Gear

Status
    That sounds like a plan, i'll have a word with my man tomorrow i need to disconnect it but dont want the airbag light on all the time, your way seems easier than adding a wiring harness...

6th Gear

Status
    Not the answer, but...
    What about having the baby in the back using isofix? Maybe abit safer and saves you turning off the airbag.
    Atlas Grey A4 2.5 TDI Quattro Sport.
    Mods so far: Cruise control, DIS, Heated Mirrors, Tuning box, Xenonx, Centre Arm Rest, MFSW, RNS-E, SDS and Aero Wipers.
    To do: None yet.
    Next: Auto dip rearview mirror and Folding Mirrors.

2nd Gear

Status
    Yer was going to do that when me and the misses are in the car together, but i'll have to pick the little one up on my own from time to each week so really need her in the front with me as i'd be able to see her easier + can reach her without have to pull over.

It just BUGS me so much that the damn key switch is an option !!! on a FAMILY sized car...

1st Gear

Status
    Safest place for the little'un is in the back on the passenger side of the car. If you are worried about not being able to see them we got a mirror that straps to the rear headrest. That way you can see them by looking in your rear view mirror and into that mirror.
    As for being able to reach to her you'll prob find she will be sound asleep soon after you set off so its not really much of a necessity.

Current Car:

A3 S-Line TDI 140bhp Sportback in Misano Red Pearl with Audi Open Sky System, Chrome Roof Rails, Full Leather, Front Armrest with Audi Phone Prep, MFSW, Cruise Control, Auto Wipers, Auto Lights, Auto Dim Mirror, Rear Parking Sensors, Bose Stereo, Privacy Glass, Ambient & Footwell Lighting and Puddle Lights.

Pic soon

Gone but not forgotten:

Audi A4 TDI Sport Avant in Denim Blue
    VW Golf Mk4 GTTDI
    Vauxhall Calibra 2.0 16V 150bhp Red Top
    Vauxhall NovaVAN 1.5TD

2nd Gear

Status
    I hear what your saying its just peace of mind for me surpose having her next to me...

MDA
    sploorer

Status
    mines an SE and i havnt got the option to turn it off either
    my old x reg A3 was an SE and that had it !!

hope you get it sorted fella
    Last edited by MDA; 17th May 2010 at 20:17. Reason: speeling lol

4th Gear

Status
    Well, my non airbag keyswitch glovebox hinge broke & I got another complete glovebox from a breakers with CD Changer fitting & the key switch with wiring for the airbag disable. The three previously unused wires on the car side of the wiring loom mated with the three wires from the three wires from the keyswitch.
    I set the airbag switch to disable and the airbag warning light came on, and it stayed on. I VAG Commed the car to clear the airbag fault but whichever way the key was set the Airbag warning light came on.
    THis suggests the airbag module software needs changing/tweaking to recognise the airbag switch is present. I wonder if it can be done via VAGCOM ? Anyone know ?
    I have just left the airbag disable switch wiring completely disconnected.

Top tip - don't mess with airbags unless you know what you are doing and have VAG-COM.
    Last edited by JohnboyC; 17th May 2010 at 20:46.
    A4 2.5 Tdi Avant Quattro Sport : 180HP 6 speed, Mauritius Blue, full black leather heated electric front seats, auto lights, Xenons, auto dipping rear view mirror, heated folding door mirrors, cruise control, Bose, full DIS, MFSW, 18" RS6 reps, rear parking sensors, colour coded lower, rear door window blinds, interior & ambient lighting kit, under seat storage, front armrest as standard. RS4 ARB, RNS-e sat nav, Cd Changer, OEM bluetooth fitted by me.

1st Gear

Status
    i only know about vws but I asked this question about my old golf, apparently you can only turn it off with vag com. plenty of cars have a switch but audi and vw dont.

2nd Gear

Status
    Think i'm gunna get my mechanic friend to plug his Vag-com in, still think that i'll have to use a by-pass wire thou to switch the airbag warning light off.