Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits

Thread: Oil consumption

Reverse Gear

Status

Oil consumption

2003 A4 TDi 1.9.....I've just had the oil level indicator come on today, checked the dipstick and sure enough it was low which is of concern as I had an oil change done at a local garage 5000 miles ago, it took one litre to bring it up to the correct level, is this normal ? the oil is Castrol Edge 5/30.
    Greg

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Dont think you should worry cos the owners book says to expect some use but I would check regularly and not wait for the light which I regard as awarning for forgetfull drivers.My 2.5 TDI came with a pouch to hold a spare litre which made me think but so far done over 2000 with no top up needed .Its a long time since I last carried spare oil when I bought a new Vauxhall which used 1 pint every 200 miles!which I was told was normal but most cars leaked oil then so it was hard to tell what they were burning.My previous A4 was a B5 1.8 which never showed any drop in oil level in 10k between services but I still checked regularly in case of leaks because I once had an oil filter split on me a long way from home and only noticed when checking at services and just managed to limp back with some top ups.