Water pump failure

nanafagis

Reaction score
After numerous problems over the weekend I've almost accepted that my water pump has failed on my car, but something always pains me to hand my car over to a garage if i'm not 100% i'm sending it for the right repair.

Is there anything I can check myself to be certain that it is the water pump that's gone?

The symptoms are overheating, red coolant light on the dash, loss of power when it overheats and a fan running overtime once i've turned the engine off. No coolant loss & no fault codes. Changed the temp sensor and that didn't fix anything.

What annoys me is there's nothing visibly wrong. I'd rather it was ******* coolant everywhere so i could see something is broken.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

the only thing i can say is get it looked at my dads skoda 2004 has just had the water pump go and it sizzed up and snaped the cam belt killing his engine
id not take the chance at all mate have it looked at asap

Yea i know you're talking sense the last thing I need is my engine to go bang on my current 3 day salary. The plan is to get a full belt, tensioner & pump service if the garage confirms that it is the pump. The cheapest quote i've had is £420 and most expensive is £560 so you can see why i am clutching at straws trying to find a cheap way out haha. I was due a big service in 3-4000miles anyway but it would have been nice to be able to choose when i got it done myself without my car telling me!

well i feel your pain :slapped: there and i think you can get it done for less than that if you look around any way as the cam belt kit starts from about £68 ish and the pump starts at 28 to 38 pounds im thinking most of what you have been quoted is laber but id always have the pump done with the cam belt kit
as it has to come off if you need to do the pump later so its then a new cam kit again.

My water pump went in the cold weather, started leaking coolant from the pump, so remove the belly pan and look and see if anything is leaking from the front end of the engine, I have had the water pump go on two cars before they were due a timing belt.. Mine was £170 all in from my local garage..

I am not 100% sure about your particular car, but with all my previous cars, I can see the water running through the coolant tank when the engine is running.
If water doesn't run then of course it means the pump has failed (or one of the hoses is clogged).

Other option is the thermostat has failed and will not open, have to say the thermostat is another device I change during the belt change, your draining the system anyway.

Well, I put it in this morning - got a quote for £360 for waterpump plus belt and all other belts so was about £100 cheaper than everywhere else. The place has a good reputation so i've calmed down a bit for now. They can't work on it until Thursday/friday but since I was on my day off and I can't drive the damn thing anyway I decided to drop it off. The car might as well sit there so it's ready for when they get chance to look at it.

Thinking about it, a lot of the symptoms like overheating, cold air from the heater fans, limp mode etc...remind me of when my radiator fan broke. Whatever it is they will let me know anyway. Knowing my luck it will be radiator, or thermostat, meaning that the big service still needs doing in a few months :shrug:

This car is probably got the most comprehensive and expensive service history for a less than 2 year year ownership going lol. The list of parts changed in the last 18 months is:-

-set of 19" alloys (2 cracked on a pothole)
-9 tyres (3 of which down to dodgy camber. 2 to potholes and 4 to general wear)
-new radiator & service (loose wire went thru the propellor)
-full set of discs & pads
-aircon re-gas
-bonnet release cable & handle
-3 additional mileage services.
-plus the extra goodies like HID's & tuning box.

£9k to buy the thing and over half again to keep it on the road! Luck of the draw I suppose. Whoever buys it off me will be getting a car with most of the main components no more than a couple of years old. Lucky baskets!

(The above is not an advert by the way. I'm far too poor to sell it. My loan is higher than the car is worth these days! :sob:)

Last edited: