oh no, car has started to rumble when accelerating?!?! what can it be?

gadgesxi

Reaction score
Just went to tatton park, fine. Had a walk then back to the car and started up. The idle was really lumpy though, and when i pulled off it just hesitated really bad, rumbling and engine light flashed for a while then went off. I had to slowly accelerated to get up to speed on motorway and so on.

A couple of weeks ago i did spray 10k boost into the turbo inlet, and the engine was a bag of crap after that, but then it went ok. So not sure if its the MAF i have disturbed?? or could it be the auto gearbox?

Just went to tatton park, fine. Had a walk then back to the car and started up. The idle was really lumpy though, and when i pulled off it just hesitated really bad, rumbling and engine light flashed for a while then went off. I had to slowly accelerated to get up to speed on motorway and so on.

A couple of weeks ago i did spray 10k boost into the turbo inlet, and the engine was a bag of crap after that, but then it went ok. So not sure if its the MAF i have disturbed?? or could it be the auto gearbox?

Doubt it's the multitronic box, if that's the auto you have ?,as you said it's like it when idling !!!

Doubt it's the multitronic box, if that's the auto you have ?,as you said it's like it when idling !!!

yes, revs are up and down on idle.
auto box is tiptronic also, its the old type

Last edited:
think your find this is your prob; if a coil-packs down your be running on three cylinders...
simple way to check; unscrew the two torx screws that hold the red wiring loom onto the rocker-cover then whilst the engine is running gently lift the first coil up with a screwdriver,only about an inch,be carefull not to touch underneath the plastic head !:jump:
if its that one that's not working prop; then it will run the same, if it ticks-over worse then push it back down and try the next one back and so on ,till you find the one where it ticks-over the same as it is now, ie on three cylinders, no worse and no better ...

Last edited:
red wiring loom? cant remember seeing that. Is that the same for the 1.8T. I will give that a try though!

If it is coil packs, how much ££ am i looking at?

red wiring loom? cant remember seeing that. Is that the same for the 1.8T. I will give that a try though!

If it is coil packs, how much ££ am i looking at?

There about £30 each from GSF , about £40 from stealer, very common I've changed two on mine , my dad has a4 petrol I changed one on his just last weekend, it will run exactly as you've described, mines the 2.0FSI, yours may not have the red loom across the rocker cover, but if you check the way I've explained your soon find the culprit !

Last edited:
Do you mean the socket things the spark plugs plug into?

Yes ! It's worth carrying a spare coil-pack in the boot, if ones gone the others won't be far behind ...

Last edited:
well just tried the car, and it seems ok now. I unplugged a coil pack and it did sound how it was. Maybe its when they have got hot, then their failing? anyway, i will order one, or two!

Is this what i need?

925VG0140
IGN COIL-PENCIL
A4 1.8 (AVJ/BFB/AWT/AMB/BEX)

thats from GSF

Last edited:
Is this what i need?

925VG0140
IGN COIL-PENCIL
A4 1.8 (AVJ/BFB/AWT/AMB/BEX)

thats from GSF

I've got the 2.0 FSI, so possibly diff coil to mine, but yes ign coil-pencil is right and if that's the one listed for 1.8, then it should be right ...

whilst i wait for the coil pack i bought some spark plugs and have only managed to fit 2 before i snapped the plug removed (cheap halfords thing). Cars still crap with 2 new plugs anyway. Is it possible it could be the air mass meter?

A fella in work is bringing a fault code reader and a plug remover in tomorrow so may have a better chance.

i had the same fault on my 2.4 v6 revs up and down drove the car for about 30 mile switched engine off for about 5 min now all ok ... can this be an coil pack. im looking changing my spark plug the car have NGK but was looking at putting bosch super 4 . does any one now more about spark plugs that can help also any pic of wat an coil pack looks like ?

whilst i wait for the coil pack i bought some spark plugs and have only managed to fit 2 before i snapped the plug removed (cheap halfords thing). Cars still crap with 2 new plugs anyway. Is it possible it could be the air mass meter?

A fella in work is bringing a fault code reader and a plug remover in tomorrow so may have a better chance.

more likely to be your coil-pack IMO , really common , and like you said you've never changed any ...

i used to play around with different spark plugs when i had a petrol and i always found that ngk triple electrodes where better than bosch super 4's. Just my observations

well the car is back to normal now!!! have a guess what the problem was.....?.............a faulty coil on cylinder 1. New coil bought from eurocar parts for 20 quid, and its now back to full glory!
Thanks for the help guys!

well the car is back to normal now!!! have a guess what the problem was.....?.............a faulty coil on cylinder 1. New coil bought from eurocar parts for 20 quid, and its now back to full glory!
Thanks for the help guys!

Faulty Coil ,,, Why Didn't I Think Off THAT !!! First Of All !!! :)

Last edited: