Can it and Has it been done?

Turkster

W.Bro.Paul 2.0d Q5 Quattro
Reaction score
Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Website
www.facebook.com
My A4 does not have electric windows in the rears,
I do on the other hand have the motors to convert them and the switches from donor doors,
would it be fair to say that the wires are all there to convert my car and then tackle the convenience control unit?

from what i understand the Control unit control's the windows and alarm/anti jack systems in the car, is this right? if i could place the control unit i took from the donor car and have that re programmed to work with my remote keys and alarms, surly i could do the conversion?

the donor convenience unit will only work in your car if it is the same revision letters but you might be able to tell/program your original convenience unit that rear electric windows are fitted

I'd be interested to know how you get on with this, as I've often thought of converting my rear windows to electric too.

Rich

the donor convenience unit will only work in your car if it is the same revision letters but you might be able to tell/program your original convenience unit that rear electric windows are fitted

Actually thats not entirely true, the conv module will work if it uses the same frequency, this is usually denoted in etka with a remark comment of 5D1, D2, D3 or D4, so you would need to check the 2 modules have the same frequency 1st.

The letters are not neccessarily important, as in, modules get superseded & letters change all the time.

But, in answer to the original question, yes it can be done, sometimes audi fit wiring in place even if modules are not fitted, so you would need to visually check that, as its impossible to advise on your car.

Now you will if no wiring there, have to run wires into each rear door & possibly additional ones in the drivers door to utilise the switches & lockout, maybe even run others to conv module, need to check elsa for that, also need to verify your existing fronts support the function, vagcom should be able to assist there, also check your current conv module for any coding for rears which would then advise if this needs changing aswell.

Actually thats not entirely true, the conv module will work if it uses the same frequency, this is usually denoted in etka with a remark comment of 5D1, D2, D3 or D4, so you would need to check the 2 modules have the same frequency 1st.

The letters are not neccessarily important, as in, modules get superseded & letters change all the time.

Thats not my experience. I needed a new module when mine packed up so I bought a reconditioned module, part number 8E0 959 433 CD thinking that the revision letters wouldn't make a difference but they did as the 'CD' module didn't work correctly with the alarm system.
My original module was part number 8E0 959 433 AJ and the only module that I found would work with my car correctly had the revision 'AJ'. Whether that means I can use any module that starts with 'A' at the beginning of the revision I don't know?

Last edited:
Thats not my experience. I needed a new module when mine packed up so I bought a reconditioned module, part number 8E0 959 433 CD thinking that the revision letters wouldn't make a difference but they did as the 'CD' module didn't work correctly with the alarm system.
My original module was part number 8E0 959 433 AJ and the only module that I found would work with my car correctly had the revision 'AJ'. Whether that means I can use any module that starts with 'A' at the beginning of the revision I don't know?

Nah the letter A doesnt really denote you can use that one mate unless yours was specifically already an A as such, an A & an AJ maybe different in VAG's way of things, wish was that easy, but this is VAG we're talking about, etka has many flaws & tbh mistakes I see everyday, at the dealers aswell, nightmare for them I tell yer, which is why I respect dealers alot more these days having used all there systems now, although I still think there technicians need more hands on experience instead of mainly fitters if you get me.

Maybe your issues were because yours is a B6 & the module you bought is B7, but both are 5D1 modules mate, so strange didnt work & I will explain that further below.

Whats issues with alarm were you having with the B7 module, reason I ask is me & mate coded a B7 remote fob remote functions only to a B6 with a 5D1 module, so kinder denotes B6/7 share some common tech parts, immo's were different iirc between B6 & B7, but conv isnt immo connected interms of needs immo coding into it afaik, maybe wrong but I know 8P conv module isnt linked to the immo at all as I upgraded mine & stands to reason why should they be as immo is purely engine start lockout etc.

ill second nhn on the above, it was my key we adapted.

as for the answer to 1210tech's issue possibly being using a b7 module in a b6 car then TURKSTER will be able to comfirm as im sure his donor vehicle/parts is B7

ill second nhn on the above, it was my key we adapted.

as for the answer to 1210tech's issue possibly being using a b7 module in a b6 car then TURKSTER will be able to comfirm as im sure his donor vehicle/parts is B7

you know me too well , yes its a B7 :icon_thumright:

So after reading all the replys,

It may well be that my convenience control unit (8E0 959 433 AJ) that is installed into my car right now could be tuned by vag com to opperate my rear windows if all the wires are there?

Im stripping my doors down soon as i need to replace the chrome strips that sit on the bottom of the windows, im finaly getting my dusty brave jacket out and just getting on with it,

to take the chrome strips off you have to take the glass window frames out from the doors to get a the clips! its a balls ache job but i cant afford to pay anyone else to do it for me so i gotta go and do it alone, (any volunteers 1wheelonly) ?

So why all thats off i may as well see what the electrical window upgrade is saying,

Last edited:
You don't need to wear a brave jacket when it's not your car you're working on!