2.5tdi 180 not holding boost

danny-goddard

Reaction score
hi there am a newby to as.net as i only bought my car last week im really happy with the way it drives compared to my last car (subaru impreza) the engines got masses of torque and the four wheel drive system is really good too. however when i floor the throttle from say 40mph in 3rd gear i hear the turbo spool up but as the revs climb you can hear the turbo fluctuating up and down, on a couple of occations ive gone to over take and the turbo just seems to fade out but if i let off the gas then go back on again it seems to come back?? any help on this would be great?? many thanks danny

split in the turbo out pipe? presure builds up and the the pipe lets it go when it reaches a level that it can no longer hold.

a common pipe to go is the pipe the is at the front right of the engine bay that goes into the inter-cooler, its just behind the headlamp and down a bit, you will see it if you look, best get someone to give the car a good rev and put your ear in that area, but not right in that area if you know what i mean.

or take off one of the pipes that goes to the turbo fan and see if the fan is wobbling from side to side, if it is then its new turbo time! :sorry:

Last edited:
Firstly, Welcome to the forum!
Secondly, I would suggest putting the car on vagcom to see if there is anyfault codes flashing up.
If you don't have vagcom, which if you've just bought the car is unlikely you do. Check out the VCDS section of the forum for someone near by. I'm sure any of them would be willing to vagocm your car for beer tokens.
You'll be fine on here, a very friendly forum where everyone is eager to help.