B7 KEY UPGRADE

mattyboyc

B6 Veteran now Q5 owner
Reaction score
Hi all, i have a mankey looking key and want to have a nice shiney one so fancy doing the upgrade to a b7 key, i know the blade needs to be trimmed but i also read on the " zine " that these b7 key fobs will not work with pre-2003 models,so is there any of you that have done this upgrade who can confirm or deny this, what is involved,is it worth it or do i just try and find a new b6 key and change all the inerds over?
Thanks in advance,
Matt

ChrisAsh32 has done this, hopefully he will pick up on this thread.

1wheel has done his too. yes it can be done, its fiddly as fak but possible.
cant see why a pre 2003 would differ, mine 04 but still B6 obviously.
how many b6 keys do u have, if you only have one then the risk is higher, you need to remove the immo chip from the b6 key, if this breaks ( its glass ) then your not going anywhere.

Well whats strange is I got 2 keys ages ago for my then B6 S4 & these were coded to my car by audi, but alternatively as Lea has advised, trim blade down & swap chips out.

How do you get the glass transponder out?

Stanley blades & Dremel, takes fair while as you cant put any pressure on the glass when digging the glue out.

Gotta do what you gotta do though, so sounds like a good plan. Might have to do this to as neither of my keys are in the best of shape. Was going to just go with the B6 key but the B7 does look fairly slick. Wonder if they work with B5's too.

make sure you get the a4 b7 key and not just a new shape from a3 etc, they DONT WORK, must be a from a b7 ! also the frequency has to be the same as your b6 key, obviously.

Yeap as we found out huh me old northern monkey, oh well I used the key for my 8P anyway, result.

make sure you get the a4 b7 key and not just a new shape from a3 etc, they DONT WORK, must be a from a b7 ! also the frequency has to be the same as your b6 key, obviously.

How do we know it is a B7 A4 key, as all the ones you see say A2,A3,A4 A6 & so on ,new style 3 button key.

yeh, me a nige went round the houses a bit by trying to sync an A3 key, wouldnt sync, nige got me an A4 b7 key and hey presto !

its pretty straight forward mate, we'll talk ya through it when u get it, ill even give ya my nuber if you like and can talk you through it whilst your in the car.
nhn did this for me when i did mine, easy enough mate.

its pretty straight forward mate, we'll talk ya through it when u get it, ill even give ya my nuber if you like and can talk you through it whilst your in the car.
nhn did this for me when i did mine, easy enough mate.

Thanks very much for that, what does the letter at the end of the part number denote ie E, K ect as i notice a few others on the bay with the same part# and frequencey but different letters on the end.

Whats your current key number?

Hi, i have two keys, one that all works ok ie unlocks with the remote and manualy and starts the car with part # 8ZO 837 231/355029 02/02 433.92 MHz, and one which works manualy (unlocks and starts the car) but dosen't work on the remote (audi could't pair this) with a part # 4DO 837 321 A no idea on the mhz as it has a sticker over it but would presume it is different hence why it won't pair.
Thanks in advance
Matt

Ok well yours is a 5D1 key which is the 433-434 mhz frequency as we know, so you would be looking for an 8E0837220Q currently, but you can also buy the 8E0837220K which was superseded to the Q anyway, both will work.

The 4D0 key shows under a brazilian S3 01-04, wrong for your car anyway.

Hi, i have just had a email from the seller to say that the key is infact a "Z" rather than a "E", will this make a difference?

He actually says it is a Q not a Z in reply to the question you or someone asked him & I personally know that seller aswell, if its of the car I know of then its a B7 key & Q as my previous post says, will be fine.

He actually says it is a Q not a Z in reply to the question you or someone asked him & I personally know that seller aswell, if its of the car I know of then its a B7 key & Q as my previous post says, will be fine.

oops, realy should go to specksavers!! your right Q,
Cheers

Ok well yours is a 5D1 key which is the 433-434 mhz frequency as we know, so you would be looking for an 8E0837220Q currently, but you can also buy the 8E0837220K which was superseded to the Q anyway, both will work.

The 4D0 key shows under a brazilian S3 01-04, wrong for your car anyway.

Hi, will one ending in E work? full # 8E0 837 220 E

Last edited:
E supersedes to a K which then supersedes to the Q, so yes.

Hi all, so here is where i'm at with the key upgrade, got fob and new blade cut ( so i didn't have to shave my old one), changed the immob chip with a little help from a heat gun and a pick tool and fitted new blade, the key now opens the doors manualy and starts the car, i should have the vag-com cable over the weekend so is there anyone who can give me a step by step guide on how to programme the remote side of things to the car? thanks in advance.
Matt

E supersedes to a K which then supersedes to the Q, so yes.

Hi,
I realise this thread is as old as the hills but I'm looking to get an additional "8E0 837 220 E" key (for my B7 A4), I was told I have to find the exact part number but you're saying that isn't true?
That's be fantastic as the E version is a pain to find.

thanks.

2002-04 B6 uses a different part number remote to the earlier 2000-02 B6. I've never been able to program a B7 remote to a 2000-02.

2000-02 uses 8z0837231 remote
2002-04 uses 8z0837231d remote

The B7 remote that I usually use with 2002-04 is 8e0837220q

I don't even stock the standard 8z0-d remotes anymore because everyone always goes for the B7 style

Mine is an 02 and i needed a different convienience module then no problems at all programming.