ECON on permanently and leaking engine

Mikebabs1

Reaction score
Hi All,

In the last couple of days the ECON light on my B6 A4 (2001) has come on and refused to be turned off and I've also noticed a small leak from the engine bay. Seems to be a colourless liquid dripping very slowly. I'm assuming the 2 are connected and it's something wtihin the air con set-up that's leaking which is causing insufficient pressure for it to work properly? Am i right? If so, what is it that's likely to be leaking and how big is the job to fix it?

Thanks.

Mike

hi the econ light staying on may be one of many things low gas presor sender and so on to find it out you need vag-com really
as for the liquid where is it coming from ? as the aircon is gas as far as i no

Thanks for the reply Simon. Haven't figured out exactly where the leak is coming from yet, but it's dripping from the middle of the engine bay towards the back.

im not 100% on this but i dont think its your aircon driping id say thats more like the engine losing warter but like i say with out seeing it its hard to say
unles its your aircon evaporataor seals gone.

im sure there is guys on here that can offer more than me thought

Hmm a strange one, it seems very coincidental, but it's hard to see how the two could be linked :think:

As Simon says the refrigerant is a gas, so would vaporise if it were leaking, I can't see that the fluid on the floor is that. The rear centre of the engine bay is where the condensation drips out of the ac system, but it's hard to see how it could be that if the the ECON light is on and thus the compresser isolated....

Does the ac blow cold at all? Is the ECON light out all the time or does it work sporadically? If the compresser isn't working then the system wouldn't be pressurised so I can't see how it can be leaking. Bit vague I'm afraid, sorry...