Judder at Idle and Small clunk when cold...

chrisash32

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to ask about two things that i have noticed recently.

First one, when the car is sat at idle, it seems to judder quite allot, but not in any particular motion.. Just randomly and quite violently some times.. Who car shudders... Wondered if it could be an engine mount?? :s

Secondly, when i am setting off and the car is cold, the very first time the car moves i get a clunk just after the wheels start to turn.. It wont happen again after that until i am in the same position again.

Any Ideas?

Cheers
Chris

Could the clunk be a flat spot on one of the balls in a CV joint?

good point... dont know much about CV joints... i would expect the car to do it all the time though :s

Will have a check of the pads, thats a good possibility.. It doesn't "sound" like a pad though.. thats my only thought, sounds too metallic.

Good way of testing is, don't use your hand brake for a while. Just use gear and kerbs.

If its a CV/driveshaft noise then you would normally be able to 'feel' the clunk through the clutch pedal when you take up drive. Its strange it only does it when cold, maybe down to the heat in the joint increasing bearing size, or improved lubrication as the grease softens....... I'm thinking aloud really!

If its a CV/driveshaft noise then you would normally be able to 'feel' the clunk through the clutch pedal when you take up drive. Its strange it only does it when cold, maybe down to the heat in the joint increasing bearing size, or improved lubrication as the grease softens....... I'm thinking aloud really!

you may have a point... as i can feel it... through the clutch peddle.