This is worth knowing (for some!)

Kiwi Kranker

Reaction score
I hope this is useful for some and it may in fact already be known so sorry if it has but.....

I posted a few days ago how my factory fitted Xenons had gone out, well one had anyway, turns out the ballast had been soaking in water for the better part of a couple of years judging by the level of corrosion.:faint:

Audi wanted roughly £300 for a new one and the ones on eBay were still silly prices for used ones, (£120 northwards).:crying:

Cue the useful info part.

In a 'Rain Man' moment I remembered that when I worked at an Audi and Chrysler dealer in NZ when I was going through Uni, I had noted that the US cars used the same brand of some electric components as the Audis.

A bit of research:readit: later hey presto, Jaguars and Chryslers of the same era use the same Valeo HID headlamp ballast.

One Chrysler ballast replacement later I can see in the dark again.

Cost £65 :rockwoot:

One of lifes little wins.:icon_thumright:

Hope thats worth knowing!

Looks like you did a ****** lot of research, but really worth it! good post! :icon_thumright:

What and where is the ballast?

It is, for want of a better description the control/power unit for the HID bulb and generates the high voltage needed to run the bulbs. It sits in the bottom of the headlamp and if the back door to the headlamp is open water can get in a sit on top of the unit and eventually destroy it!

Is it the same case with B7 ballasts?

The only way to tell would be to check out the ballast of the B7 with the same era/update cycle of a Chrysler (SRT) or Jag. If Valeo is still supplying the units I would say there is fair chance they could be the same though with the LED units on the Audis now the system could be totally different.

It is, for want of a better description the control/power unit for the HID bulb and generates the high voltage needed to run the bulbs. It sits in the bottom of the headlamp and if the back door to the headlamp is open water can get in a sit on top of the unit and eventually destroy it!

Well iv learnt something today, I will open my door flaps up and have a look inside,