A4 (B6) CAB 3.0 v6 - Sluggishness and part throttle surge

ringo_the_audio

Reaction score
Hello all.

Please forgive me if this has been covered and solved before. I've searched the threads but I can't see a 'solved' answer to my slight problem.

I own a manual 2003 Audi A4 3.0 V6 Cabriolet (B6). I am having some strange things happening when I accelerate.

Be it warm or cold, I get a very slight hesitation/sluggishness when I set off as I press the peddle down, this happens only occasionally. It starts off like it's driving through a strong wind but it does not feel lumpy of juddery. It lasts thorugh to about 3500 rpm and no matter how much juice I give it the sluggishness continues until after a few seconds when the engine suddenly picks up and the car roars off.

The 'surge' part to this threads title is this. When I'm crusing and I press the accelerator 1/3rd - 1/2 way down the car seems to pick up with more acceleration in this position than at WOT.

This is my first Audi, it's a lovely car but this is getting a little annoying.

No engine lights what so ever. It's also had a recent big service at Audi that included the cam belt.

It was doing it before it went in, but I totally forgot to ask them about it.

The previous owner had a coil pack go on him and he gave me a spare one just in case. I thought that if a coil pack was failing the engine lamp would come on.

I run it on 97RON with occasional REDEX shots. It's done 58k.

I called Audi parts yesterday but they would not let me speak to a technician. I suggested a coil pack and they agreed it might be as the previous owner had a pack go on him, so he replaced it with a Europarts pack - he also left me a spare. Audi service told me that it does not sound like a coil pack...! 'Confused you will be'

They also told me it would cost me £50 for them to diagnose it... :faint: I might buy a BMW again, they never charged for diognosis.

The coil packs are the red topped ones.

Can anyone help me?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Hello, many thanks for your reply. I'll take a look at that, many thanks... :)

It would be great to know if anyone has had any of these symptoms though...

Get a diagnostic scan - this should show up anything obvious. Perhaps a fellow forum member can help out - where are you based? Getting your own VAG-COM cable soon pays for itself - even the expensive fully licensed one from Ross-Tech! Your other suggestion, Beamer vs Audi......... I have both and the Audi wins easily I'm afraid for me.

Hi,

Did you find a resolution to this problem?

Cheers.

Don't the 3.0 v6 have issues with carbon buildup on the intake valves? i'm sure there's lenty of threads on this and the sluggishness was caused due to that. It's a do-able job to clean them without stripping the heads off, you only need to remove the intake manifold on the top.

Don't the 3.0 v6 have issues with carbon buildup on the intake valves? i'm sure there's lenty of threads on this and the sluggishness was caused due to that. It's a do-able job to clean them without stripping the heads off, you only need to remove the intake manifold on the top.

My thought xactly...... Audi RSA spent 8 months trying to resolve a similar issue on my Cab only to find it was a valve in the intake manifold that had
carboned up. There is a sensor that uses this information to adjust air/fuel etc. Audi replaced just about every related electrical sensor on Cab before
ending up stripping and cleaning the Intake Manifold (7 Hrs Labour) No Parts.... Sorted
racer.gif

As mentioned the first step to get to the bottom of anything like this is a diagnostic scan, anything else is just like plucking ideas out of the sky in honesty!

Either bite the bullet and buy a cable yourself, of pay for a scan. I'm sure most garages would knock the cost of that of any repair work.