Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    2nd Gear

Status

Not inmpressed with 3.0 V6 5-speed gearbox after test drive?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy an Audi A4 convertible and I went to test drive a 2003 3.0L V6 model this weekend which left me a little cold.. it has covered 53k miles with full Audi history however the 5-speed manual gearbox felt very sloppy, not at a tight like the 6-speed manual I have been used to in the 04 plate s-line saloon I have just sold. Is this due to the older style gearbox, or is something worn?

Also the roof was not lifting properly. It would come part of the way up the stop just as the rear compartment (what would be the parcel self) was half raised. With a little help it then continued opening and it was fine. Naturally I walked away - however what would have caused this problem? It was almost as if the hydraulics were not strong enough to raise the roof through the first section - or maybe it was catching on something..

Thank you for any info.. Really disappointed at the sluggish ride of the car..
    Last edited by AudiSport; 6th April 2010 at 22:04.
    05 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
    Black with a BIG wish list!

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    i have a tdi sport 52 plate with a 5 speed box on a 139k and still feels very tight so id think it may need looking at
    could be some thing silly but then it could be on its way out. not 100% on the roof but it may well be the hidrolicfluid low i had this on
    an golf

1st Gear

Status
    sounds like a poor car you test drove. why not get a cab with a multitronic gearbox? the gear change is silky smooth!! though there are alot of horror stories, mines great!!
    2003 Black 3.0 Multironic Cabriolet
    18" RS6s, 6000k HID conversion, Led interior upgrade.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    YE56 NDY reg for sale.

1st Gear

Status
    My 52 plate 2.5tdi Quattro Sport 6 speed on 77k feels tight and precise. If the gearchange feels sloppy at 53k, it's either had a hard time, or it's on the way out (IMHO).

I would have walked away as well.
    2003 A4 Avant 2.5TDi 180 Quattro Sport in Light Metallic Silver, Remapped to 220 by ProTec Motorsport, RS4 18" x 8J reps, Falken F452 tyres, 10mm H+R Spacers, Matt Aluminium Mirror Covers, Heated Mirrors, S4 Door Blades, Continental TS830p Winter Tyres on 5 star 17" Sport Alloys

2nd Gear

Status
    what could happen to a gearbox in 52k miles though?
    05 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
    Black with a BIG wish list!

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    who knows? could have been anyware, had some abuse or been replaced? only the previous owner will know. Sounds like walking away was a good thing
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade

6th Gear

Status
    it may not have done 52k mate iv seen loads about how they get clocked and a few years back i had one from a garge that had 64k on it but had done more
    like 130k plus