18" RS4's fitted..Does it need lowered now ?

stevereid

Reaction score
Whats everyone's opinions.. with 18" wheels on, does it needed dropped a little ?
If yes..what would I be looking to pay to get it lowered ?

Try this link http://yfrog.com/b6carmmj

Thanks
Steve

Last edited:
Pictures speak loader than words, would also be a lot easier to tell! ;)

ok ok .. so its not the biggest :)
I'll have to upload a bigger pic then :)

ok..so, so far thats 100% towards getting it lowered.. could you both have a word with my wife then and tell her :)
What should I be looking to pay ? Can it be done with just springs ? or are coilovers required ?

didnt know they made an B6 version of the Allroad.

Ok, so lowered it is..what should I be looking to pay ?

Steve yours seems to sit about the same height as mine, it's an SE is it?

You could probably get away with just lowering springs, but if you lowere too much it will probably wear the shocks pretty quick and they might be past it anyway depending on mileage? Unless you want to go mega low there is no need for coilovers, I'm looking to drop mine 30mm which is 10mm lower than the Sport, and more than sufficent for my needs and requirements. In honesty if I cam across some Sport suspension at the right price I'd probably just go with that.

Check out eBay, or DPM performance on here for some guide prices.

James,

Yep, its an SE. I feel like the kid at school with NHS glasses now..with all the cheap jokes :)
I tow a caravan, so don't want to go to low and was hoping to get away with just springs.
Its done 95K miles, do you think the shocks will survive with just springs ?
Steve

but when you put the caravan on the back of your car, how much does the back end go down, with lowering springs, the car will sit lower but the suspension will be stiffer hence not going down as much, so overall towing hiegth wont be much different

Yep, its an SE. I feel like the kid at school with NHS glasses now..with all the cheap jokes :)
I tow a caravan, so don't want to go to low and was hoping to get away with just springs.
Its done 95K miles, do you think the shocks will survive with just springs ?
Steve

Lol I've heard all the cheap jokes before mate so don't worry about it :blahblah1:

I'm sure it will be fine with just springs, it might wear the shocks out prematurely than they otherwise would, but there's a good chance you will still have some good life in them and then you can replace them in the future when necessary.

Why not keep an eye out for some oem springs being sold off cheap after someone else has upgraded, by example there's a set of B7 S4 springs on ebay which have been relisted at £150 or best offer for about four months now, so I'm sure the seller would take a low offer on them by now. Sounds like keeping oem would be fine for you too :thumbsup:

Cheers James, Would the B7 springs fit my B6 ? How much Would the drop be on the S4 springs ?
My wife read the thread and laughed at everyone calling the height of the car...so shoule be able to get the springs past her...then just need them fitted :)
Steve

Cheers James, Would the B7 springs fit my B6 ? How much Would the drop be on the S4 springs ?
My wife read the thread and laughed at everyone calling the height of the car...so shoule be able to get the springs past her...then just need them fitted :)
Steve

The springs are HERE.

They're from an Avant, so would have a different spring rate to your saloon, I just posted them by way of an example really. I don't know if S4's sit any lower than the Sports, but they always look low enough with the 18's fitted, so would see at least a 20mm drop I'm sure. Have a browse around there and see what's about, maybe try Pistonheads and RS246 classifieds etc.

I,ve got the same detachable westfalia as you, put the s-line kit on , so i droped it 20mm, on the original shocks , drives fine and tows fine, done over 130k !!!

The towbar is really impressive digger, my dad's got a detachable on his avensis and you can still see most of it :) he's very jealous.
So you reckon the original shocks will be ok with a 20mm drop ? I dont have a kit on mine so could maybe go 30mm ? Are oem springs preferred over say Jamex or Eibach ?
Steve

The towbar is really impressive digger, my dad's got a detachable on his avensis and you can still see most of it :) he's very jealous.
So you reckon the original shocks will be ok with a 20mm drop ? I dont have a kit on mine so could maybe go 30mm ? Are oem springs preferred over say Jamex or Eibach ?
Steve

I originally put the eibach pro-kit on which should lower 30mm front and rear, but lowered 15mm rear and a bit more front, complained to eibach and to be fair they sent me the sport-line kit which should lower at least 45mm front and 35mm rear...As it was sitting slightly **** end up, I just put the rear springs on from the sport-line kit...

Now it's sitting 20mm lower front and rear !!!

So I've got some sportline front springs and some pro-kit rears if your interested in drag-racing :)

lol..So how come the Eibach springs dropped it nowhere near as far as they were supposed to ? you got super stiff shocks or something ? :)

lol..So how come the Eibach springs dropped it nowhere near as far as they were supposed to ? you got super stiff shocks or something ? :)

Standard shocks mate,read through the posts for the eibach kit, its worth doing your research now :detective2:, specially if your going to be paying labour to get them fitted !!!

Ok, I will do.. how long time wise did they take to do ? So i can get an idea of a labour cost

Ok, I will do.. how long time wise did they take to do ? So i can get an idea of a labour cost

All day long !!! As i haven't got a work shop with a ramp, just a trolley jack and a couple of axle stands :) But if your paying labour costs at garage approx; £150 seems to be the going rate !!!

So around £300 ish to buy and have them fitted.. not SO bad :)

So around £300 ish to buy and have them fitted.. not SO bad :)

Following my research, which I wish I'd done before just buying springs :sadlike:, think i would prob; go with H&R's, as many people on here seem to feel they do lower has much as they promise or as james suggested the original oem sport springs, as you now they will lower the 20mm, there supposed to !!!