resetting service indicator

codrock

Reaction score
just had my a4 avant tdi serviced,can anyone tell me how to re-set the service indicator on the dash please

thanks for reading and any help given

I had to vagcom our lasses A3

Found this online though
online said:
Turn off the ignition
Press and hold the button on the left side of the display while turning the ignition on
Service OIL will be displayed
Pull out the button on the right side of the display until the service prompt is cleared
The display should now read ---
If the above procedure does not work, outlined below is an alternative procedure:
With the ignition off, push the right button
Turn the ignition on and then pull the left button
This should clear the warning message --- I have a 2002 A4 Quattro. To reset that Service message, hold down the service button. That's the one with the picture of a wrench on it. While holding it down, turn on the ignition. Let go of the service button and press the "Mode" button just to the right of the service button. It should clear the display.
* This does not work in older models, like my Audi A4 /1.6, 1995. It needs the cable and the program ( e.g. VAG-COM). Even with this, clearing the code (IN1 or IN2) is quite complicated.
or
Another said:
Press and hold the right button. (odometer reset)

now switch on the ignition
(oil lamp will not flash, but on at all times)

press the right button again
(insp is now displayed)

pull left button. (clock set)
(------ are now displayed)

Pull left button again

This works on my A4 tdi (110bhp) but should work on all.
ALTERNATIVELY: Press and hold Service button, switch on the ignition. When the service message appears on screen - press 0.0 (odometer reset). That should reset your 'service!' message.

sorry to cut in on the thread
but blackquat can you tell me how you did it on vag-com as i just got on and still dont no how to use it lol

The book says,
Manual said:
Switch off ignition.
Press the service button and hold whilst switching ignition on. The display will show one of these messages: Service in ?????? or Service!
Now press and hold the reset button (0.0) Untill the display shows Service in ---- km ----- days or Service!

The display will leave the reset mode if you do not press the reset button within 5 seconds.

Simon, I did it in the SRI Reset option on the main options.

Last edited:
What version are you using? As soon as mine opens its on the front page.

where you have sri i have control module finder

Last edited:
To reset the SERVICE reminder after oil change, you can do this.

If your instrument cluster has a little Spanner on a button on the right (2001-2008 A4's):
Press and hold the wrench button. Turn the ignition on. Without releasing the wrench button, press the 0,0 button next to it. The center display should change. (My 2001 Audi A4 has the SPANNER button and I was able to reset it this way)

if your not on a genuine leads, which i guess your not being a 409 then there is a simple procedure but it has to be done in a certain order, take a look at the ross tech wikki

oh right so i need to get it register it then i got it from ebay so hope i can

To reset the SERVICE reminder after oil change, you can do this.

If your instrument cluster has a little Spanner on a button on the right (2001-2008 A4's):
Press and hold the wrench button. Turn the ignition on. Without releasing the wrench button, press the 0,0 button next to it. The center display should change. (My 2001 Audi A4 has the SPANNER button and I was able to reset it this way)

This one worked for me. Did it few minutes ago after service on monday.

yes ive done that one,its showing -- in place of days to next service and the same with miles to next service
when will it display when next service is due??

It takes about 500 miles for everything to reset itself and the next service interval to be displayed.

As a rule of thumb, AVS is reset by the trip, longlife by VAGcom I think.