Brake pad wear indicator

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I had the car serviced & MOT'd yesterday. The garage told me the car needs new front discs & pads. I'm not wholly surprised. The discs are the originals, so have done nearly 82,000 miles from new. The pads were changed at 39,000 miles, so the car has done 43,000 on this set.

However, the garage said the pads only had about 1mm left on them, which makes me wonder why the pad wear indicator hasn't flashed up. I haven't had a chance to do my own visual inspection, but would have thought the indicator would have gone off by now if the pads were that thin?

Well on my old 306 the wear indicator was on 1/2mm. Not sure if that helps. but i know when the light came on i had like a few hundred miles and then i got grinding...

Sometimes, garages will use pads without the sensor and then short out the sensor plug with a wire, have a look at the back of the calliper.. I just disabled the wear indicator on my wife's Touareg last night as all the pads had loads of depth left..

I can vouch for that, our lass managed to buy some pads for her A3 that didn't have sensors. So i just shorted the pins out. I check the cars regular anyway.