Which A4?

madmiketyson

Reaction score
Hi. New to the site, found it recommended whilst googling for information on my next car!

So, Ive been driving a Lexus IS200 for the last two years and Ive grown bored of it. After looking around, Ive set my heart on buying an A4 cabriolet.

Im 22 and have been driving for 2 and a half years. I had 2 years no claims discount until some tool on a moped went through my back end a few months back.....my insurance company want me to settle 70-30 in my favour......but thats another issue for another time!!!

So Ill have zero no claims discount but my insurance company want between £600-900 extra dependant on the engine so that isnt a major issue for me.......a more pressing concern is what the car will cost me once bought and insured. I have never had a problem with my IS200....the only times it has needed to go the garage are for the regular services.
I have a shortlist of 21 cars from various sites that I am looking at and I am unsure what to go for.

I want something that accelerates a bit quicker than my IS and looking at the specs on autotrader, only the 3.0 seems to be doing that. The models I am looking at have the option of a 1.8turbo, a 2.4 or a 3.0, although there is one 2.5TDI that slips just into my price range.

Which engine is going to be the most reliable for me?
Should I go for an automatic or a manual? I fancied an automatic as my next car but they appear to be a couple of seconds slower on the 0-60? I want something quicker off the mark than my Lexus!
Tiptronic/multitronic....whats that all about? Im pretty basic in my car knowledge........a quick google search makes them look interesting though......any information is appreciated.

Is there a link anywhere on here to servicing schedules on these cars and what needs doing on these services? Or if anyone has this information to hand, even better.

Ive got a budget somewhere around £10k for this. Ive taken a loan out to purchase it so Im keen to get something I dont have to worry about in the year or so Im paying the loan back......

Any help or advice is much appreciated. Ill be checking back here around 10AM tomorrow.
Apologies if this is in the wrong place, I had a scout around the forums and decided this would be the most appropriate section.......sorry if I overlooked something obvious!

Cheers

if your considering a 3.0 litre , I would advise manual , there have been issues with the multitronic needing a seven clutch upgrade !!!

Duly noted and a quick google search made my mind up to avoid that particular model :D
Cheers mate.

Anybody have any comment on how quick the 1.8T/2.4 are off the mark? I tend to disbelieve the specs as they were all wrong for my IS200......

Duly noted and a quick google search made my mind up to avoid that particular model :D
Cheers mate.

Anybody have any comment on how quick the 1.8T/2.4 are off the mark? I tend to disbelieve the specs as they were all wrong for my IS200......

I have a 1.8t convertible and its not slow, just sold my 225 Audi TT and the difference is noticeable but not that much. The A4 is a more refined drive, I would buy the 1.8t

maybe better off with some thing smaller like a3 turbo if your after a pocket rockit as the boys call them :icon_thumright:

I cant afford an A3 cab unfortuantley :( And its gotta be a cab this time :D

itsmeagain: Would you say the 0-60 time Im reading of around 9.5 seconds is accurate?

i also have an 1,8T cabriolet and i disagree ! i think there slow, BUT ! i think youll find once you get a cab, you seem to drive it slower, i dont feel the need in mine at all, dont get me wrong, i like a fast car, im also a biker but for some reason i get in the cab and dont feel the need, just cruise around normally in it, may be its just me.
as for which engine then for off the mark probablty the 18T is favourite as a remap will transform it and give you alot more punch.
my next door neighbour has a 2 year old lexus is 220 d and that would eat the cab.

i also have an 1,8T cabriolet and i disagree ! i think there slow, BUT ! i think youll find once you get a cab, you seem to drive it slower, i dont feel the need in mine at all, dont get me wrong, i like a fast car, im also a biker but for some reason i get in the cab and dont feel the need, just cruise around normally in it, may be its just me.
as for which engine then for off the mark probablty the 18T is favourite as a remap will transform it and give you alot more punch.
my next door neighbour has a 2 year old lexus is 220 d and that would eat the cab.

Interesting.....whats the price roughly on a remap of the 1.8T? Im not looking to take off, my IS does 0-60 in about 9.5 secs....im just looking to shave a couple of seconds off that. Top end is irrelevant, I just want something that gets off quick at traffic lights as Im usually late for work and have 10 sets of lights to get through!!!
Would a remap bring it down somewhere around that 7-8 second mark or would it still be a way off? And is there anywhere youd recommend for that remap? Im next to you in Nottingham!

im not up to date with the maps mate, spent all mine on ****** steering wheels and screens lol. your best bet is to start another thread on here asking about them and who etc, theres hundreds on here have 18T's that have remapped. id of thought youd get close to what you want 0-60 wise