AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Running Issue/1.9 tdi

Car: 2003, 1.9 tdi SE 130.

Bit of a strange one this, the last two mornings whilst the wife has been driving to work, the car has become sluggish and lost power about five minutes into the journey, she said it felt like the turbo wasn't working (not bad for a wifey eh!), on Monday I shot over to her work to have a look at the car and it was absolutely fine, no issues found, no warning light came on, holding boost with no apparant split hoses and fine for the rest of the day.

The same happened again today, but not as much power loss, again the car is fine when it has been restarted.

I'm new to this Audi lark but the only thing I can think of right now would be a temperature sensor or similar maybe?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Glen.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    It will more likely be sticky vanes in the turbo causing an overboost situation, this in turn throws the car into limp mode. The limp home mode continues until restart when it clears and resets back to normal until the next cold start where it occurs again.

Neutral

Status
    Ok thanks for that although it sounds expensive! What would cause the sticky vanes and is there a cure for this? The car has only covered 43k and has fsh.

6th Gear

Status
    I read you can move the arm by hand and it might scrape some of the soot out of the turbo.
    It's caused by a build up of soot iirc.

Neutral

Status
    Just did a search on 'sticky turbo vanes' and found this thread.. http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/printthread.php?t=63715

Not sure that the 10k boost/Powerboost spray would be a good idea though?

2nd Gear

Status
    Sounds like air mass meter is on its way out this gives the car the feeling of low turbo power done 4 this year very common

Hope the people that took me DIE

6th Gear

Status
    ill second that had my maf sensor go the same way as above one min loads of power then nothing did it on and off till i got me a new one.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks A4nut/Simon, would this throw up an error code so I can get it checked out?

2nd Gear

Status
    Yes it does it can be one of several also ive had these go with out throwing up any codes and no MIL light on.
    Does this sound like yours found it on ross-tech wiki

In MY 1995-2002 (?) in Europe at VW-diesel-cars G70 had the bad reputation of slowly losing his performance, causing loss of power. It's not a matter of defective or breaking down, but it is filthy / dirty (not easy to clean). You can check functionality by making a log in [01-engine], [meas.blocks-08], group 003 (3e gear, full throttle, from 1700-4000rpm

Hope the people that took me DIE

6th Gear

Status
    mine did not show up just lost power some times
    a4nut got my vag lead today all works fine will pm you for some info if ok mate

Neutral

Status
    Thanks again for the replys chaps, I decided to take it out for a little shake down last night, the problem didn't happen at low speeds but did happen at circa 3500rpm in 4th, so I chucked in a bottle of Diesel injector cleaner and headed out again, got a few miles on and stretched it's legs a little

The wife has gone to work in it this morning and reported no problems! Anyhow I have a short break planned soon so that should give it a bit more of a clearout too.

Will post up with any further developments.

Neutral

Status
    So to cut a long story short after a couple of weeks of the car behaving the limp mode senario reoccured, just changed the MAF and it's fully cured the problem, feels like it's gained another 20bhp too!
    Result
    So cheers again for the sound advice.

(Btw - no error codes were logged)