Strange problem with my 130 TDi

way318

Reaction score
Drove home from work on Tuesday evening and parked car on drive as usual and all seemed fine with my car (A4 1.9TDI 130). Got in it this morning and started it and drove out of my drive to go to work, but straight away noticed that something was not quite right. It was as if it was holding back, so pressed down on the acc pedal and it pulled like normal. So tried it again and noticed it only did it straight after a gear change, its hard to describe but felt like a car with carbs that were flooding themselves and stuttering before it picks up. Drove it to work with it still doing it with a plan to see what it was like on the way home.

So got back in it to come home from work and noticed straight away that it was still doing it, but this time seems to be getting slightly worse as you can also feel it holding/pulling back when you take your foot of the acc pedal. After about 15/20 mins I pull up outside my house and position the car to reverse into my drive this is when I got a very loud screeching noise from the under the bonnet and alot of vibration through to the steering wheel. Now it used to screech very slightly every now and then when you moved the steering wheel but have not heard it do it this bad before and defo not had the vibration through to the steering wheel.

So I am a bit confused now as to what it could be :confused:

The only things I can think of that it might be is either a pulley or the power steering pump has failed/seized and is dragging on the aux belt causing it to pull back. The car has done 145K and i'm not sure of the life span of the pulleys and PAS pumps.

I have not checked under the bonnet yet as it was dark when I got home.

Any ideas/help with this would be appreciated.

Not sure about the noise, but I had a similar problem before and it was an a faulty injector and I know someone else who had a similar problem and it was a build up of somekind in their turbo and they got told just to boot it every now and again as apparently with a diesel it's common.

That's probably no help at all, but I hope you find the problem soon and get it sorted.

Rich

mine was holding back on me as i needed a new maf sensor

Spoke to a few guys at work today who are good with all types of car problems and they seem to think that the pulling back might has something to do with DMF & Clutch / Flywheel and the noise from the power steering might be a failed engine mount.

Not sure myself, but the engine does seems a lot noiser on tick over then it did a few days ago and the clutch pedal does feel slightly different which could point to the DMF/Clutch/Flywheel starting to fail, but not sure if this would cause it to pull/hold back.

Its going into my mates garage tomorrow to see what he can find, so hopefully it not DMF/Clutch/Flywheel problem and something quite simple.

Just picked up car from my mates garage and he said that its the Auxiliary Drive belt tensioner that has failed and needs replacing.

He has asked me to check with Audi to see if it was ever a recall on the A4 and if so to check to see if mine has had it done or not.

Does anyone know if the Auxiliary Drive belt tensioner was on a recall for the A4 B6 TDI?

How much does this repair normally cost ?

Thanks