A4 concert stereo system volume knob....

Ozy1000

Reaction score
I habe a dodgy volume knob on my A4 ( 53 ) plate, when you go to turn it up, you have to be very careful, or it turn s back down to 0, any ideas?....

I am not sure if this will work, but well worth a try. When the stereo is off, turn the knob quite fast in both directions, almost being a little rougher than normal. Sometimes the contacts can go funny, as they're hardly used and this may remove any tarnish type effect it has had. It used to happen on an old stereo of mine all the time, and this always cured the problem for a week or so, lol.

However, this may not work :p

I have the same on my Concert II. If the volume control is turned up quickly, it reduces in volume!
I think, (and i may be wrong), that it's supposed to do that. The only way to turn it up, is move the volume knob slowly.
I must admit - it's an annoying feature. I presume it does that so the volume can't be accidentally turned to 'mega' decibels, and deafen everybody.
I wish I could disable the feature, though.

Oh, I think I may have misunderstood then, lol! Yeah, that's a kindof cool, but annoying feature then isn't it?! Kindof like the low washer warning...good for a while, but annoying when it won't shut up.

Not a "feature" unfortunately, a common issue. Try Crazy's tip, maybe see if you can get some contact cleaner or IPA in there at the same time but I fear your button is just knackered.

I've heard of this before, as mentioned it's sadly not a feature, more of a fault!!

I think the HU can be sent off for repair, or else replaced. Maybe someone like Andymac can advise better.

Well, bless my soul!!!
Did, as crazy88 suggested - with the unit switched off, moved the volume knob fast in both directions - and, surprise, surprise - the control is working perfectly now!
The question is - for how long, though?
Answers on a postcard. . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . .