Setting car up properly.

Fifequattro

Reaction score
Right, i`ve come to the conclusion that my car is just a thirsty ******, no sooner have I filled it up it seems to have disappeared! :faint:- what would be the best way to get my car setup so that its running properly? use a rolling road or maybe vag-com? - thanks for any advice guys

What engine is she? how thirsty? MPG she does, and i mean actual not what the DIS says.

How many miles do you do per journey? long or short?

Vagcom wont help you set it up, a remap would, but i guarantee unless its a diesel it will get worse!

Only thing you could do on Vagcom is throttle body alignment! dependant on engine i think!

1.8 T quattro - I know that with it being quattro it will be heavy on fuel - dont know exact mpg, I go by the dis display cos my fuel gauge isnt working just now - the dis mpg goes down in increments of 5 mpg and just seems to disappear lol! - I dont leather the car either and my journey to work is a 12 mile round trip and the occassional motorway run - filled the car up today with 20 quid, turned on the car , dis said 130 miles, pulled away from the forecourt and immediately to 90 miles!

I think the DIS is instantaneous, so if you boot it it will drop like you say to 90 miles in tank left, but iif you were gentle after that it would probably go up!

How many miles to £20, i would expect you to get around 115 miles for journeys that short. If it does that, personally i think thats ok.

See when the dis says 0 miles left, how many miles will be left in the reserve tank then? how do yo accurately work out mpg? I have seen 145 - 150 miles to 20 quid and that was v power, does this make a difference? maybe my car is running ok I am just constantly driving with one eye on the dis lol!

[my journey to work is a 12 mile round trip]

I think that's your problem - two start ups from cold with only a six mile run each time. If that's the bulk of your motoring I think you'd struggle to find any car that would deliver good mpg figures.

Whats the issue with your fuel gauage ? If it's an issue with the sender then the dis computer might be reading wrong as well.

145-150 is better than i get for £20 and mines the 18t fwd and a heavy cab so i guess ur ok wanna swap? lol

Fuel gauge is sticking, turn on the car and it just sits as if the car has a full tank of petrol - you can see the needle flickering when you turn on the ignition - any ideas? someone did mention fuel sender

***!:sadlike: temperature gauge had decided to act dodgy now, what is going on with my car!? guessing its the coolant temp sensor or thermostat, but, could it be a faulty instrument cluster? seems to be a bit of a coincidence that both the fuel and temp gauges are knackered!

Last edited:
Fill the tank and reset your odometer, drive a few hundred miles and then fill it up again, you can work out your actual mpg from miles covered bs fuel used.

145 + on £20 V power..:faint:
Im Jealous!!

Ill be lucky to get 70mls to £20 these days but I suppose that because I probably only do 3mls between journeys.
Going to give it a scan with my VAG com tomorrow now though because im starting to get para its drinking faster and Im hardly using it.

gettign a full service and a few pipes fixed got me up to 340 miles a tank on a 190 qs.

Right, i`ve come to the conclusion that my car is just a thirsty ******, no sooner have I filled it up it seems to have disappeared! :faint:- what would be the best way to get my car setup so that its running properly? use a rolling road or maybe vag-com? - thanks for any advice guys

Stop driving it like you stole it and take off the lead shoes! :icon_thumright: