Does my car have can-bus

mattyboyc

B6 Veteran now Q5 owner
Reaction score
Morning all, i wish to do a mod with my main beam and foglights,(basically all will come on with full beam but the fog lights still remain useable as conventional fog lights i did this on a 306 estate i had before the A4, however ther seem to be a little confusion as to wheather my car has the can-bus system, i have no bulb out warning if that helps, she's a 2002 1.9tdi sport if that helps,
Thanks in advance,
Matt:icon_thumright:

Morning all, i wish to do a mod with my main beam and foglights,(basically all will come on with full beam but the fog lights still remain useable as conventional fog lights i did this on a 306 estate i had before the A4, however ther seem to be a little confusion as to wheather my car has the can-bus system, i have no bulb out warning if that helps, she's a 2002 1.9tdi sport if that helps,
Thanks in advance,
Matt:icon_thumright:

I'd never thought of doing this, but I quite like the idea of it too

Reactions: AlexA4Avant
sorry for the nievety but is there an explanation about for the difference in can-bus and k-line

I've just wikipedia'd them both:

Controller–area network (CAN or CAN-bus) is a vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other within a vehicle without a host computer.

"K" Line, is a very large Japanese shipping company which moves Japanese cargo around the world.

I'm more confused than ever now :think:

Dual K-Lines:
Depending on equipment level, the "new" Audi A4 can have so many control modules in it that putting them all on the same ISO9141 bus (K-Line) would exceed some of the electrical characteristics allowed by the spec. To get around this problem, the new A4 may have two K-lines. In "basic" cars, all control modules are on K1. In a car loaded with options, most control modules will be connected to K1 and will be accessible using all standard ISO9141 interfaces. However, a few modules may be connected to K2 instead of K1. We've heard from Europe that cars with Xenon headlights have the second K-line and cars without Xenon's don't, but we're not 100% sure this is is the the dividing line in North American cars.

The dealers' solution is to put a VAS-6017 adapter between the scan-tool and the car. This device acts as an intelligent switch, making an automatic determination which K-Line a control module is connected to. The VAS-6017 works fine with the interface adapters supplied with VAG-COM, but it is pricey, expect to pay over $200 if you want to buy one of these. Naturally, a less expensive solution is available to VAG-COM users. All of our current Interfaces fully support for the dual K-lines.
KWP-2000:
A number of the control modules in the new A4 use the new KWP-2000 protocols for the data-transport layer. KWP-2000 has some different features from the KWP-1281 protocol, see our Function Chart for details. You should use the latest version of VAG-COM for the most complete functionality.

All B6s have more than 1 CAN bus (Powertrain, Infotainment & Comfort) at least one of these is connected to the many (over 30) control modules for communication with the rest of the car.

BUT all B6s only use a dual K-line (K1, K2 or K,L depending on who you talk to) for diagnostics.