Confused and need advice plz

Trick

Reaction score
Hi foks,

ive been a member for couple of years now, i currently own and drive this S3:

S3_Rig.jpg

im looking to sell and buy an A4 B6 1.9Tdi as S3 is way too much on petrol these days.

I have seen a couple on the interweb and im a bit confused at the body styling of the bumbers and the bottom of the doors etc.

if you refer to the pictures below, this is what i am aiming my A4 to look like.

1) Twin exhaust bumper and boot lip spoiler

eg2.jpg

2) Front bumper Splitters?

eg3.jpg

3) Door Trim

eg1.jpg

I also quite like the merc rims too. But my Q is this........are these aftermarket parts, OEM parts or what? are the expensive, Where do you get them from?

Also, why do some A4's have chrome trim round the bumper and side windows?

ok that was more than one Q, but any help is appreciated

Welcome to the B6 section ;)

The only models to come with two visible tailpipes as standard are the 1.8T and the 3.0. The 2.5TDi and 1.9TDi quattro have pipes on both sides but they have hidden tailpipes. The fwd 1.9TDi has the exit just on the nearside. The rear system of the other cars will fit easily onto the fwd 1.9 and with a nice set of tailpipes and a different valance is a very popular mod on here.

The black car you've linked to has had this mod done, and the rear valance come's from an S-Line model car, hence the S-Line badges on the rear door. It's not a true S-Line as they are all 1.8T 190's. I'm not 100% sure on the spoiler as I know more about Avants.

The door blades are also from an S-Line, they are similar to the S4 ones, (and your S3 ones...?) but the S4 has larger more aggressive blades.

I don't know about the splitter on the silver car, it's not an OEM one. The SEAT Cupra splitter is a popular retrofit and looks great. EDIT - You have one on your S3 I see ;)

hi there

bit of info here, picture 1 shows the rear bumper with twin cut-outs, the 1.9 has only one exhaust exit as its a 4 cylinder diesel, this however can be overcome by transplanting a 1.8t exhaust (has the twin pipes one each side)onto it and replacing the lower bumper valence with a twin cut out one, all oem parts if you prefer and the boot lip spoiler is also available form ebay or audi, there are quite a lot about.

sorry i dont know much about the front spoilers they dont look oem but you never know

picture 3 shows the s4 door blades, these you can buy from audi for megga money or if your lucky ebay from a vehicle that is being broken, the s4 blades project out a little further than the s-line ones(thats the difference), the other alternative is to buy an s-line spec motor which should have all these bits on except for the front splitter and twin exhaust.

the chrome trim was an optional extra when the car was ordered and an absolute pig to change to if you want it although i prefer it.

Just to add to the confusion my Dads A4 2.5 TDi 180 Quattro Se Avant which he bought second hand already has the visable exhaust like the OP pic and i would be surprised if they were a modification.

Mine has the more aggresive front end body kit which i assume was factory standard (not like the ones in the picture though) but hidden exhausts.

The 1.9Tdi does have the twin exhausts (i had 1 before i got a 2.5) if its a quattro but once again they were hidden

Just to add to the confusion my Dads A4 2.5 TDi 180 Quattro Se Avant which he bought second hand already has the visable exhaust like the OP pic and i would be surprised if they were a modification.

Definitely a mod mate, surprising as that may seem!

Really well he will be surprised as the guy he bought it off didn't have a clue about cars really.

It does look very OEM as it has the sline kit on it with fully colour coded bumpers, door bades and of course the twinexit exhausts the main difference is the front end is not as aggresive as on my A4.

I'll happily stand corrected, but I'm not aware of any of the TDi models (B6 A4) leaving the factory like that.

the boot spolier is the s.line one i got mine from ebay and fitted it monday its made by ABT

Thanks for the great response folks. Cleared alot up for me there.

So the rear bumper......is it basically a 2 piece bumer than can swap the bottom part (valance) for one that has a twin pipe exit like the S-Line?

Yes the rear valance is independent from the upper, except for the S4 which has a one piece unit.

Beware though that saloon and avant aren't interchangeable.

Yeah that seems to be about it plus of course some lower bumpers are colour coded others arnt.

19" inch merc reps can be bought from Autoalloys.com in Northern Ireland. I think the black car is a NI motor.. Also all A4's come with chrome upper & lower grills and chrome strip along the boot. The chrome window trim was an option when new..

Last edited:
Brilliant :icon_thumright: I've seen some questions on here before, but never that one lol

lol, give me a break, im a noob to the A4. :p

Is the front bumper also a 2 piece with replaceable lower i.e. the black ****** plastic bit?

Ha I was only joking ;)

The front lower is two piece also, the standard lower can be removed and an S-Line style one fitted in it's place. It's not a perfect fit and some trimming is required, but plenty of people on here have done it successfully.

so what can be done about the side skirts? that horrible back plastic?

audi.a4.500.jpg

thats easy to fix a good boddy shop can paint them i have the same but im looking to get some side skirts from ebay and have it all painted at the same time