glovebox problems

Rcpvin

Reaction score
help! went to open my glove box today only to find that i couldnt open it,the latch moves like it should but thats it any help would be helpful.

Sorry just realised A4 forum oopsy its 2am give me a break :D Anyway....

I would take a look from underneath, ie head in the footwell looking up at the dash underside and see if you can see any screws for the glove box hinges.

Remove the hinge screws and you should be able to drop the whole box down away from the latch, or at least give enough freedom of movement to get to the latch.

If there are no screws then have a feel up the sides of the box again from underneath and see if you can find any side pivot / hinges which you can lever the box away from the dash and so drop it out.

Failing that you could just take the side pannel off and push the release mechanism :D

This happened to me last year, I'll find the thread in a bit when I get on the PC.

What happens is a small bit of plastic in the catch breaks so you can't open the lid. There are three screws underneath (visible from the footwell) and also three screws in behind the top of the lid, so in my experience you won't get the box out without opening the lid.

I found that poking about behind the catch with an electrical screwdriver didn't help either, so once you're satisfied that it is the catch which is broken you need to try and break it out. Again the screw to remove the catch is hidden on the inside edge of the lid! With care you can break out enough of the catch without damaging the lid to allow a screwdriver in to pop the catch open. When you've done that you can remove the catch to allow you access to the glovebox until you sort a new catch.

Catch was just over £20 from memory.

just spoke to oxford audi about a price for catch,was told that i would need a new glove box lid as audi dont sell the catch seperatly,which would cost 115 quid!Funny that spoke to listers audi in stratford said the catch is 23 quid will be in friday.Whats that all about then?

just finished fitting new handle to glovebox only took 20 mins thats also fitting the coolbox pipes back together.thanks for the tips and thanks to quattrojames for sending the how to link.

This is an old thread, but I have the same problem and need to get it sorted. Audi quoted me about £400 for a new glovebox fitted on my Audi A4 Sline 56 plate.

There is a catch for sale on ebay (the picture shows no hole for the key, but the seller says her can provide these too). Is this what I would need to fix it?

Genuine Audi A4 S4 Glove Box Handle Catch NEW | eBay
Thanks

There is a catch for sale on ebay (the picture shows no hole for the key, but the seller says her can provide these too). Is this what I would need to fix it?

Genuine Audi A4 S4 Glove Box Handle Catch NEW | eBay
Thanks[/QUOTE]

My catch was broken when I bought my B6. I bought this very item, its a doddle to fit and is genuine Audi.
They can even send you one with the lock hole in it.