Coil pack on the way out?

niftyandy

Reaction score
Hi
Got a 2004 3.0 V6 petrol and when I accelerate to about 75mph and cruise on the motorway, my car judders a bit like it wont take any more, rather like a misfire, and my emissions light flashes on the dash. When I stop pressing on and let it settle down, at about 65-70mph, and cruise, the light eventually stops flashing and goes out, but as soon as I press on again it appears again and the juddering starts, like its misfiring again!

Could this be a coil on the way out?...Though if one was I'd have thought that the juddering misfiring feeling would be over the whole rev range and not just the higher band....3000+ rpm etc. Nothing is apparent at idle etc, it runs smoothly then!

It doesn't seem to do it when I accelerate hard, it seems to be in 4th gear or higher when I try to go faster.

Could it be that this is because when i'm accelerating harder, in the lower 2nd and 3rd gears, the coil is being forced to work, so to speak, and the extra load required to accelerate in the higher gear is causing a coil overload, or something like that.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Andy

Sounds Like when my last pack went,
it was ok on tickover and up to 2700 rpm above that and it started to judder, when it was driven.
hope that helps

Its the coil for cylinder number 2 apparently....

Anybody know which one this is, as you're standing in front of the engine bay with the bonnet up?

cheers

I'd say its the 2nd one as your looking at it face on mate, at the end of the day if its not then after you've tested it bang it in the next one up!! But I'm fairly sure its that one.

Cylinder two is the middle one on the drivers side. I'd huck it up to vag com and check the faults logged too. If it is misfirimg it will be stored, could help you identify the cause. I think the ignition coil packs are about £30 each on the V6.

Mine went last week, No. 4 cylinder.Beware there are two types as the first one the garage ordered was sent as the wrong one and didnt get sorted till late on the wed,then had to blast it to manchester so we didn't miss the footy! :footy: