Full bypass relay kit wiring from TowEquipe

acano

Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Don't suppose anyone has a copy of the wiring diagram for the bypass relay from TowEquipe? i've got the wiring kit but as i did not buy it from TowEquipe i can't access the pdf files.

thanks Tony

its a ryder unit, which is what i use when fitting towbars

if you look at the unit itself it says which each colour is and where it needs to conect to

wire the unit behind the right hand lamp, run a wire to the left hand for the indicator and to the left hand sidelight

left hand indicator: grey/blue or green/blue (just check with test light) this goes to yellow wire on the relay

right hand indicator: black/green this goes to the green wire on the relay

brake light: black/red this goes to the red wire on the relay

fog light: grey/white this goes to the blue wire on the relay

left side light: grey/black this goes to the black wire on the relay

right side light: grey/red (only wire left apart from brown, just test if its not grey/red) this goes to the brown wire on the relay

reverse: blue/red this goes to the grey wire on the relay*

* reverse is only used if fitting twin electrics or 13pin socket

if there is 2 grey wires on the relay 1 goes to reverse and the other goes to earth, doesnt mater which grey wire does what, if theres only 1 grey wire, it goes to the reverse light

white wire on the relay goes to earth (body)

youll also need to power the relay, i take a feed from the rear cig light as its rated at 30 amps, but fit an inline fuse, 15amp inbetween the relay and the cig lighter wire, the live is the red wire or red/white from memory, not brown. the live feed goes into any of the + ports (choice of 2)

the wires from the towing socket go into the relay ports which tell you which colour to put where, the white wire goes to earth (body).

its a ryder unit, which is what i use when fitting towbars

youll also need to power the relay, i take a feed from the rear cig light as its rated at 30 amps, but fit an inline fuse, 15amp inbetween the relay and the cig lighter wire, the live is the red wire or red/white from memory, not brown. the live feed goes into any of the + ports (choice of 2)

the wires from the towing socket go into the relay ports which tell you which colour to put where, the white wire goes to earth (body).

Could you tell me where you run the positive when you say the cig lighter how/ where do you run the wire? I know it sounds daft but if there is an easy direction then advance info would be appreciated

thanks Tony

A4 B6 2.0 SE

Last edited:
Yes the saloon, by that it hasn't a cig lighter in the boot:crying: so from your PM I need to run the positive from the fuse box:scared2:
I assume the only way is by stripping half the trim along the door sill :unsure:

thansk Tony

nah, from memory you can just tuck the wire under the plastic trim, to get a live feed from the fuse box, i get a pre wired fuse holder then put a male terminal (blue one) on the end of it and push it into a live terminal in the fuse board. save cutting into wires and is easier