Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

3.0 QS vs 190 QS Line

Well am finally in a position over the next couple of months to buy a new car! yippee!

However i have narrowed it down to the two mentioned above.

I love the look of the Votex(?) kit on some of the 3.0QS and would love the engine note to go with it.

My only concern is tax and fuel economy I have searched and searched, but all i get is dead ends!!, I currently have a chipped golf 1.8t and so i am drawn to the 190 Quattro sline, as it will only be slightly worse in fuel. not a problem.

But am i bored of that engine? its a bit "tinny" and lacking in torque. Now i don't do many miles around 12,000 a year, so fuel economy is not hugely important. But if i was to go with the 3.0QS i dont want 15mpg territory.

so what are they like, and has anyone driven both?

much help, and apologies if it's been asked before... i did search... honest

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have a 3.0 QS and rarely use it on the motorway. A and B roads mainly. I don't drive like an old lady and it returns a genuine 24mpg. Not amazing but could be worse...

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    I have a 3.0 QS and rarely use it on the motorway. A and B roads mainly. I don't drive like an old lady and it returns a genuine 24mpg. Not amazing but could be worse...
    Impressed with that. thats fairly similar to my golf. which seems to be not so good on fuel!!! i imagine 29-31mpg for motorway cruising then!

Neutral

Status
    I have the 3.0 QS. I get anywhere between 27- 31 mpg cruising depending how I am feeling and traffic. I would always bank on getting the lower though!

3.0 is worth every penny for the torque and sound IMO!
    A4 3.0 Quattro Sport, Xenons, Black Leather, Bose, 18' RS4's, Sunroof, Armrest, Milltek

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    what about the 2.5 qs. not got the torque of the 3 litre but close and better on fuel too anywhere upto 40 a gallon
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    I've not owned either, so I'm not talking from experience, but can offer some opinions

Most 3.0 owners (there are few, which is good imo) report 20-24 mpg, I've never really heard of any less than 20. It sounds great, and is a 6 cylinder, 'nuff said for me. There are few tuning options, (unless you fancy a supercharger......) so the power you get is the power you keep generally.

The 1.8T 190 is the 1.8 to go for, fairly easily tuneable up to 240hp - and lots more with sufficient investment. For me though, and no offence to anyone, it's a four cylinder engine, and that can never outweigh the appeal of a six......
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

Neutral

Status
    [QUOTE=quattrojames;932114. For me though, and no offence to anyone, it's a four cylinder engine, and that can never outweigh the appeal of a six......[/QUOTE]

Not sure who coined the phrase and its not so true these days but its still used a lot in the Southern Hemisphere by Aussies and Kiwis alike..

There is no replacement for cubic displacement
    A4 3.0 Quattro Sport, Xenons, Black Leather, Bose, 18' RS4's, Sunroof, Armrest, Milltek

shifting to Hyperspace... .

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Kranker View Post
    There is no replacement for cubic displacement
    Nice one

My philosophy - if you have to ask the mpg on a big engine then it's not the car for you!

I generally get 285 to 320 miles to the 60 litre tank (Quattro) on varied trips, so that is 21.5mpg to 24.2mpg.
    Once got 34mpg driving to one of my firms offices in Holland from Windsor through France/Belgium/Netherlands - although continental roads were pretty flat on the route I took via Calais.
    (and I did not include the 20 miles through the Chunnel!)
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable