My Current S4 Woes

I checked mine last night and it definitely doesn't make this noise on start-up (yet!). It's quite a bit noisier than yours (because of the Milltek) so I tried it with the bonnet open and there was no rattle.

The front bushes on mine got an advisory at the MOT last week so I'll be getting them changed soon. I think they'll be OK for a while though as the ride is perfect at the moment.

You can hear mine worse inside the car.

The thing about mine is it passed an MOT when I bought it with no advisories! although the company that sold it to me MOT'd it :ermm:

You can hear mine worse inside the car.
What I meant was I definitely couldn't hear it from inside the car so I thought I'd try it again later with me outside the car and the bonnet open just in case. :) Couldn't hear the rattle in either situation.

dsmclark30v said:
The thing about mine is it passed an MOT when I bought it with no advisories! although the company that sold it to me MOT'd it :ermm:
Sounds like they passed it in order to get the sale. I know from previous experience that different MOT testers have very different standards when it comes to passing or failing a car.

Sounds like they passed it in order to get the sale. I know from previous experience that different MOT testers have very different standards when it comes to passing or failing a car.

My thoughts exactly. The warranty will only cover the one suspension arm that they are replacing and I will have to pay for the other.

Came across some information about a technical service bulletin no. 2017369/3 which is to repair a sporadic hard metallic rattling sound from intake manifold only after first cold start, audible for 1-2 seconds! Sounds like my problem, asked a friend who works at Poole Audi to ask about it and so I can see if Audi will do it as a recall i.e. for nowt.

The warranty will only cover the one suspension arm that they are replacing and I will have to pay for the other.
I got a quote from my local Audi garage for both: £780.

dsmclark30v said:
Came across some information about a technical service bulletin no. 2017369/3 which is to repair a sporadic hard metallic rattling sound from intake manifold only after first cold start, audible for 1-2 seconds! Sounds like my problem, asked a friend who works at Poole Audi to ask about it and so I can see if Audi will do it as a recall i.e. for nowt.
That would be a result and a half. Fingers crossed for you mate. :)

I got a quote from my local Audi garage for both: £780.

really £780 that sounds a bit expensive. I was told parts were £70 each and then just over an hour to fit! although I was halfway down to pick the car up and there is something else that has to be changed now so got to pick it up tomorrow now!

really £780 that sounds a bit expensive. I was told parts were £70 each and then just over an hour to fit! although I was halfway down to pick the car up and there is something else that has to be changed now so got to pick it up tomorrow now!
I've had a quote from a local garage for the same parts and work: £460. Mine needs 4 front suspension top arms @ £70 each + fitting (2 hours apparently).

Not sure how Audi can justify over £300 more but I'm sure they'll come up with something. :think:

I've had a quote from a local garage for the same parts and work: £460. Mine needs 4 front suspension top arms @ £70 each + fitting (2 hours apparently).

Not sure how Audi can justify over £300 more but I'm sure they'll come up with something. :think:

Purhaps the ones Audi are fitting are made from gold :lmfao:

Right well I have got the S4 back and it feels alot smoother now the front suspension is sorted and the uneasyness when crusing along has gone. So I am happy again. If the weather is nice I'll give it a good clean and polish tomorrow and take some new pictures

Glad you got it back, did they say anything about the rattle?

Hope you have a good weekend with it, enjoy!!

Glad you got it back, did they say anything about the rattle?

Hope you have a good weekend with it, enjoy!!

They said the rattle is normal and nothing to worry about so I'm going to have to live with it. but my mate who works at audi is going to look into the ecu update thats ment to stop it