EM TuningVolks Autos
    5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status

ANYONE GOT A NOTCHY BOX

Naughty its not what you think
    I just thought i would ask a question

When cold the gear changes can be quite notchy and i have to sort of nurse it into gear. First to second is usually the worst or going from second to first, when fully warmed up it is fine. Its not bad or anything. im just wondering if a change of gearbox oil may help.

has anybody else experienced this going on and can it be rectified. also when i accelerate away the gear stick moves backwards a small amount. could it be an engine mount or something that is worn causing the gear change issue?

any advise more than welcome

sorry forgot to say its a 6 speed manual connected to a (ake) 180hp quattro tdi
    Last edited by swarcup; 4th March 2010 at 16:44.
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    My first gear change of the day into second is quite a notchy one, it certainly doesnt go in as easy as when the gearbox is warmed up. Like you, when it's warmed up then the gear changed are fine.

I also have some gearstick movement, if I hold the selector and accelerate there is noticeable movement, it's not got any worse in the three years I've had the car, and I replaced the gear box oil when I got it. One of my electronice engine mounts is a bit intemittent so maybe this isnt helping.

I'll have a look and see what the interval is for changing the gear box oil, even if that doesn't help it's bound to reduce your concerns.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

1st Gear

Status
    Mines been like that since I bought it 12 months ago and was also thinking about changing the oil.

But it looks like it may be a common issue.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Its a std "feature " of the 01E 6 speed box sadly. It can be made better by changing the oil to FULL synthetic. It won't be perfect. but it will be better.

It was a night and day difference,not perfect though

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan A4 View Post
    Its a std "feature " of the 01E 6 speed box sadly.
    Mine is a 5 speed, so could it be a different problem??

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    It's not really a problem for me in honesty.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

Neutral

Status
    my 6-speed box is very notchy when cold as well, glad its not just me.

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    sounds like this could be quite a common one, il change the oil just to be on the safe side

any recomendations for brand and viscosity?

just found ive also got a diesel leak but il start a new thread
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade

Audi fanatic

Status
    Have had , Ur quattro 20v RR , B5 S4 , B6 Tdi fwd , V5 bora , 80 Quattro v6 to name but a few all of them especially the quattros have slightly notchy boxs when cold give them half a mile or so and there fine
    also ambient temprature at the moment is low so oils will be thicker in the mornings especially which will cause a notchy change
    dont worry about it only worry if it does it hot .

1st Gear

Status
    My 6-speed manual 2.5tdi Q 180 gear box is also notchy when cold especialy in the lower gears.
    I put ATF into the gear box on my last car which sorted out some notchyness in that (lexus IS200 with a quick shifter) and its quite a common thing to do on manual gearboxes that are notchy or clunky I believe
    2.5 tdi Quattro sport - PhatBox - DIS - Cruise - RS4 ARB - Remap - and a few other minor mods/retrofits
    2.0 TFSI A4 b7 cab - completely std for now... (the wife's car)

3rd Gear

Status
    my 6 speed box is the same when cold.... its an Audi thing though as our A2 and my friends TT are exactly the same...

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    cool, i dont think il worry to much then as it is only when its cold and spring is springing now so the temps should come up soon

BahnStormer

Status
    mine is occaisionally reluctant to release into Reverse, but nothing to do with the engine / oil being cold...
    LostBok/BahnStormer77
    A6 (C7) Avant 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, LED headlight pack, MMI touch, SDS high, AMI, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.